Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Is everyone using a beveling machine or do you guys do them by hand or a handy fixture on a grinder/sander, just a wraparound?

I've got some sch 80 stainless steam pipe to do and I could have the machinest chock it up in the lathe but hate relying on that.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB

Rick_H wrote:Is everyone using a beveling machine or do you guys do them by hand or a handy fixture on a grinder/sander, just a wraparound?

I've got some sch 80 stainless steam pipe to do and I could have the machinest chock it up in the lathe but hate relying on that.
Rick you don't say what size pipe... however
At the last shop we had a Georg Fischer pipe beveling machine, and also lathes. If you have more then a few welds, then let the machinists do it, you need the bevels to match and be consistent, besides it's schedule 80 AND stainless!!
Richard
Website
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

A lathe cut bevel will always be better but don't be afraid to use an angle grinder. That's how I was taught and you can usually get it pretty consistent. Most of the time if the irregularities are within reason you can handle it under the hood. Or simply turn up or down. If I had access to a lathe I would use it, but if it you have to get "primitive" it'll turn out fine as well.
Country isn't country unless it's classic.
Rick_H

It's 2" pipe, replacing old carbon socket weld stuff. I've done it by hand, actually that is how I was taught just not looking forward to it..lol I could also do it socket weld again, actually that's how they originally laid it out but I can butt weld if I want, just a different WPS.

I might just lay it all out and let them bevel it
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
dunkster
    Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:41 pm

Side grinder and a Rigid pipe threading machine would make quick work of those. Could even modify some old thread dies to cut the bevels if you have a lot of them. Grinding wheel dust no doubt is a hated thing, no to mention the hazards of SS particulate.

dunkster wrote: Grinding wheel dust no doubt is a hated thing, no to mention the hazards of SS particulate.
Totally agree
Rick when you do socket welds, do you use Gap A Lets?
Richard
Website
Rick_H

LtBadd wrote:
dunkster wrote: Grinding wheel dust no doubt is a hated thing, no to mention the hazards of SS particulate.
Totally agree
Rick when you do socket welds, do you use Gap A Lets?
I've never used them, I usually measure 4 times and scribe... Lol Most of my runs have been small, or section and valve replacements.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB