Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
outsider347
    Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:10 pm

Kinda new here.. Lots of reading though.

Just watched the most recent vid on scratch start with a miller TB.
I have a few noob style questions that I hope you don't mind to answer for me.

1. Can any dc welder be used, like a 225a Lincoln tombstone? I ask because I see more of those for sale around here.
2. How thin steel can be welded....I know that this is a pretty subjective question.....experience and all
3. Looks to be a less expensive avenue to get into the "tig world""
Correct????
4. Learning curve?
My background is mig & O/A.Automotive sheet metal

Thanks for your response
ed
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

1. Can any dc welder be used, like a 225a Lincoln tombstone? I ask because I see more of those for sale around here.
Yes, but the issue with a Lincoln is the tapped amperage settings. You don't have the same fine adjustments as a machine like the Miller, but it could work.

2. How thin steel can be welded....I know that this is a pretty subjective question.....experience and all
Depends on the welder I would say. You can go pretty low on the amps but you won't have a foot pedal

3. Looks to be a less expensive avenue to get into the "tig world" Correct????
Yes and no. initially it will be fine, but you will get hooked pretty quickly and before you know it you will be selling your scratch start set up to get a TIG machine with a pedal.

4. Learning curve?
About like learning to gas weld. Its not that bad.
Multimatic 255
outsider347
    Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:10 pm

Thank you for your response Louie1961