Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

Is the any benefit structurally from varying the type of weave you do? I've had some people say to walk forward on both up and down stroke and some say only walk forward on one and then roll straight across the other. The argument for that was to ensure there is enough metal being laid in the middle of the weld as the sides. All I've noticed is a tighter weave which I'm not all that concerned about. I have a pretty tight weave anyways, depending on how early in the morning it is.
Country isn't country unless it's classic.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I would guess that if the welds were of equal thickness, with identical filler, and had no undercut or other deformities with all other variables the same except the weave pattern. Any differance would only be detectable at a lab testing level during destructive testing. Or am I crazy?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:11 pm

A weave pattern that allows large areas of the underlying metal to be untouched by the arc can result in areas of non-fusion. Keep em tight.

Another consideration is the added heat input from the slower travel speeds however this relates regardless of the pattern used and is more of a concern for welds in which toughness/impact strength is a concern.

Have a great day.

Gerald Austin
Gerald Austin
If I didn't say it in the post- Have a great day !
Greeneville Tn
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

That's kinda what I was thinking. I can lay it down to whatever degree they want. Doesn't matter to me. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Country isn't country unless it's classic.