Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
gundog
    Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:00 pm

It lift arc starts as it should. So I bought the miller foot control for it. But when in lift arc remote it will not start you have to push the foot control to initiate the arc. I was under the impression that it would lift arc with a five amp start up then ramp up with the foot control. Any guidance is appreciated.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Gundog, in my experience when using a foot pedal, the micro switch in the foot pedal initiates the arc instead of you completing and then breaking the circuit to generate a welding arc.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
gundog

Yes it appears so. I was under the impression it low amp started then controlled with the foot control. The good thing is contact starts the gas so you can get the argon flowing before the arc.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Correct with a remote connected it will start the arc then depending what mode you have it in, can tailor off or stop.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:39 pm

Do you have an Owner's Manual for that machine? If not, you can download the one that coincides with your's machines serial number. Enter your machine's serial number to get the right owner's manual.

This is from page 21 of the most current Maxstar 150 STL Owner's Manual; serial numbers MC460580J through ZZ222222.

Lift Arc Start (Remote)
A TIG starting method in which the electrode must come in contact with the work and a closure from pin 1 to pin 2 on the remote receptacle (see Section 4-7) is required to initiate an arc.
gundog

I have the remote but I just was not sure on the wording of pin one and pin two. I read it, just never came through clear or I expected different. Not a big deal Thanks men. Ps I was doing 3/8 v butts with it and the roots were coming out nice.