Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
shallowwatersoul
    Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:08 am

For you tank builders, I am trying to plan out a design for an aluminum fuel tank for my boat. I am trying to decide on where to pull the fuel out and wondering where yall would suggest. I was wondering if a fuel pick up tube would work (like the regular junky plastic tanks) or should I do just a sump style bung with pipe threads for a hose fitting. This will be made out of brand new 6061 .125 sheet. Also I was wondering what yall use for a vent, I have already ordered a vent less fuel cap so that's not an option.
allessence
    Sat May 29, 2010 4:08 pm

The pickup depends on what you want to accomplish? What size motor, how much fuel do you need to deliver.. What kind of engine, Inboard, inboard outboard, outboard.. How large a tank.. You get to a certain size and you need internal supports..

More information would be helpful to get a proper answer..
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

I would do a sump.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:30 pm

This will solve the problem. I am building a rock crawler and one of these will go in the tank.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_sy ... hydramats/
shallowwatersoul

The tank will be roughly 12 gallons and will be feeding a 40 hp Mercury tiller handle that isn't too thirsty. Tank dimensions are 30"x9"x10". I do like your idea GFab70, It looks to me as it has holes for it to be held down somehow? Thanks for your replies
    Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:39 pm

Is the fuel tank going to be above or below deck?
shallowwatersoul

dynasty200sd the tank will be above deck.
    Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:01 pm

Weld a 3/8 npt bung in the top of the tank. Fuel pickups with screens & anti-siphon valves are readily available at a boat store. This is an easy way to do it & keeps boat in Coast Guard compliance which may help when selling boat.
weldit321@gmail.com
    Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:52 pm

I make dedicated fuel cells for a performance shop and we simply hang a fuel pump using submersible fuel hose and a 1/4" barb fitting. We drill and tap a 3/8" NPT x 6AN 90 degree fitting for a 1/4" npt barb. We cut the hose so that the sock hangs barely above the base of the tank.
tytower
    Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:34 am

GFab70 wrote:This will solve the problem. I am building a rock crawler and one of these will go in the tank.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_sy ... hydramats/
Link didn't work, maybe try thishttps://www.holley.com/search/?q=hydramats