Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
sros
    Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:25 pm

Hi,

I'm in the process of upgrading my present TIG-welder to a Professional machine.
I have tried to assess various machines through online reviews, forums and other places I could find information.
My only "restriction" is what's available to me in my country.

Through e-commerce sites I'm of course able to order almost any machine from anywhere, but when I'm buying a really expensive machine (4-5000 $) I would like to have a physical dealer nearby (to go to in case of warranty issues, service, etc.)

Since the US is a gigantic market, they dominate forums and YouTube reviews. From what I've read, Miller makes fantastic machines, and I would (based on numerous reviews) confidently buy a Dynasty 210 DX if I could!
Unfortunately they are not available in Norway. :-(
(That is, I can order them through an importer located in a different part of the country, but none of my local professional distributers carry the brand.)

Hence, I've narrowed it down to two available brands which I can aquire locally. These are both machines in the $ 5000 range, and they have similar settings, options and "intelligence" (With regard to automated features).

They are:

Kemppi mastertig 2300 MLS
Migatronic PI 200

I've received fairly similar quotes on both, so I finally get to my question:

Which one would you reccomend?

(I'm not sure Americans are familiar with these brands, but if you are - please give me you "two cents".
I know there are lots of Europeans that frequents these forums, and many of them have worked with both.

There is a guy who's Youtube nick is "acewelding". He has uploaded a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuKFyT_BhO4 demonstrating automatic tack Welding on a Migatronic PI 200. In the video's comment section, he reveals that he also owns a Kemppi Mastertig wich he highly recommends. Unfortunately I can't contact him to get his opinion/comparison of the two, but if there are others here with similar experiences, I would love to hear from you.)
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

I have not heard of the migatronic so can't make comment.
I do know that kempi make fantastic equipment that is marketed all over the world and is well supported with local service and knowledge. You can't go wrong with kempi.
Their power sources do have huge and complicated layered menu controls that will take a long time to master if you choose to use all the functions. It probably makes coffee too.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:39 pm

If you are really wanting a Miller Electric GTAW (TIG) Welder, this is what shows up when searching for where to buy internationally for Norway.

Company: ITW WELDING PRODUCTS NORDIC

Address: BOX 277 SE-433 25
JAERNTRADSVAEGEN 2
SE-43325

City: PARTILLE

Postal Code: SE

Phone: 46317264600
Fax:

Email: INFOWELDING@ITW-WELDING.SE
sros

Coldman wrote: Their power sources do have huge and complicated layered menu controls that will take a long time to master if you choose to use all the functions. It probably makes coffee too.
:lol:
Yes I know!
That is actually one of the Kemppi “turnoffs”. I’ve downloaded the manual for the machine, and I have a hard time figuring out a lot of the basic settings. For instance, how to set “balance” (for AC welding). They have a scale that goes from -50 to 0 (?) what the f… does that mean? I know their equipment is fantastically solid, but how do I adjust basic settings when their in-house “language” is so esoteric.
dynasty200sd wrote:
JAERNTRADSVAEGEN 2
SE-43325

That is what I was trying to highlight in my initial post.

There are lots of opportunities with regard to getting hold of a Miller machine, but I would have to import it through some distant dealer and mail service. Your example is a Swedish importer, but I've found one in my own country.

However, there is a big difference between having a local dealer that you can drive to and talk to, and a dealer only accessible through mail.
Having to pack up your machine and mail it any time you needed a service or whatever, makes a huge difference.

Imagine you lived in California and bought a Miller. The only place you could get one was from “Guadalajara” in Mexico (similar to your example), or from “Durham”in North Carolina (similar to my example).

Wouldn’t you rather buy a Lincoln from your local dealer?
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

I met a Kempi sales rep on a course I was doing recently and voiced my opinion to him about the complexity issue. He got very excited about all the good features and benefits (while agreeing) but said the good features outweighed any complexity. He said that Kempi reps were trained to teach new users (at least here in Australia) and were willing to come to your shop or to your LWS point of purchase and train you up. Also willing to come to your shop and help work up and save programs for your most common settings used in your shop including remote monitoring and trend logging etc. How good is that? Might make it all worthwhile.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
sros

Coldman wrote: Also willing to come to your shop and help work up and save programs for your most common settings used in your shop including remote monitoring and trend logging etc. How good is that? Might make it all worthwhile.
Thank you for that piece of information!
I wasn't aware of that. That will change the whole scenario. If someone could guide me through all the tweaks and quirks of the machine, I would happily go for the Kemppi as they have a solid record for reliability and quality.

Migatronic( a Danish brand) has, like I mentioned, basically the same tweaks and options as the Kemppi. Their adjustments and logic is similar to Miller and other mainstream professional machines. However, it is almost impossible to find any type of user-experience-review of the machine, leaving me in doubt.
Another available brand here is Fronius (German) which is supposed to be the Rolls Royce of TIG-machines. They are, apart from being indecently expensive, also absolutely enigmatic with regard to basic settings. I actually think you need a university degree just to turn them on.

Kemppi on the other hand, holds lots of praise and reviews online, which makes them an easier choice. Their esoteric menu system has as mentioned, been sort of a turn off. If they offer personal expert guidance and help though, I will probably lean towards Kemppi. :-)

If anybody with Migatronic experience would like to voice their opinion, you’re welcome!
    Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:39 pm

sros wrote:
Coldman wrote: Their power sources do have huge and complicated layered menu controls that will take a long time to master if you choose to use all the functions. It probably makes coffee too.
:lol:
Yes I know!
That is actually one of the Kemppi “turnoffs”. I’ve downloaded the manual for the machine, and I have a hard time figuring out a lot of the basic settings. For instance, how to set “balance” (for AC welding). They have a scale that goes from -50 to 0 (?) what the f… does that mean? I know their equipment is fantastically solid, but how do I adjust basic settings when their in-house “language” is so esoteric.
dynasty200sd wrote:
JAERNTRADSVAEGEN 2
SE-43325

That is what I was trying to highlight in my initial post.

There are lots of opportunities with regard to getting hold of a Miller machine, but I would have to import it through some distant dealer and mail service. Your example is a Swedish importer, but I've found one in my own country.

However, there is a big difference between having a local dealer that you can drive to and talk to, and a dealer only accessible through mail.
Having to pack up your machine and mail it any time you needed a service or whatever, makes a huge difference.

Imagine you lived in California and bought a Miller. The only place you could get one was from “Guadalajara” in Mexico (similar to your example), or from “Durham”in North Carolina (similar to my example).

Wouldn’t you rather buy a Lincoln from your local dealer?
Yes, I read your post and seen your preference of wanting local. I also seen your country of origin being Norway. I was saying if you are really wanting a Miller this is the company that is listed on Miller's website.

By the way, how far away, hour wise, is this business from where you are located in Norway?
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Not sure if you have a local dealer network in Norway, but if you do but did you look at Oerlikon/Air-Liquide machines?

They operate all across europe using various sub-brands and have machines in different price and performance ranges.

Not saying they are cheap, but perhaps a little more affordable than a Fronius :lol:

Bye, Arno.
sros

dynasty200sd wrote: That is what I was trying to highlight in my initial post.
Yes, I read your post and seen your preference of wanting local. I also seen your country of origin being Norway. I was saying if you are really wanting a Miller this is the company that is listed on Miller's website.

By the way, how far away, hour wise, is this business from where you are located in Norway?
Quite some distance:
Distance Miller.png
Distance Miller.png (122.73 KiB) Viewed 1763 times
Arno wrote:Not sure if you have a local dealer network in Norway, but if you do but did you look at Oerlikon/Air-Liquide machines?
The local dealer that retails Kemppi, also have Air-Liquid product(s). I actually purchased an Air-Liquid gas-bottle from them already, but as far as I know they have no welders from that brand name.

The overwhelming silence here with regard to the Migatronic machine, sort of illustrates my point regarding lack of reviews. It appears no one’s familiar with them outside of Europe. And even here, reviews are scarce and far between.

Unless someone with Migatronic experience leaves a post, it looks like I’ll be going for the Kemppi
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Migatronic makes awesome migwelders, thats what they are known for. Their tig I have only seen on demo, didnt let us try it. Never heard anybody with first hand experience either.

Other good machines available in norway are
Fronius, friend in south norway has one and very pleased with it.

Selco, another friend there has a Genisys, very nice machine to use.

Esab, look at the caddy 2200i TA34.
Might be next one for me.

Guess you have EWM there too. The Tetrix 230 is one I would consider.
james928
    Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:10 am

I really love my Kemppi, loads of buttons and stuff but its a mint machine. Bonus is its KTM orange

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
sros

AndersK wrote:Migatronic makes awesome migwelders, thats what they are known for. Their tig I have only seen on demo, didnt let us try it. Never heard anybody with first hand experience either.
Thank you for Your advice!
I know Migatronic has a very strong name in the MIG-department, and I'm considering changing my aging MIG welder with a Migatronic (without seeking further consultance).

I've had a long chat with our local Kemppi sales representative, and I've decided to go for the Kemppi.
He has an in-house expert that will give me full support and training on the machine if and when I buy it :)
(just like the aussie said :D )

Thank you all for Your contributions!