Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:14 pm

Machine set at 75 amps and 124 Hertz 74% electrode negative I'm using 1/16th 1.5% lanthanated tungsten. 15 - 18 CFH on straight argon. What can I do from here outside of the settings to improve the results I'm getting as far as a shiny consistent bead.... usually goes south of this if I stray outside of the settings. Plate is .062. T6 with 3/32 4043 filler. The last time I went to war with the aluminum was about two years ago with the transformer machine. There is a definite noticeable difference of this DX machine being much more friendly with aluminum and steels from what I've seen.... thanks in advance for any tips that'll help me. I guess I'm looking for a way to get the most focused arc that I can in the smallest puddle width.
Attachments
1456147191595484597963.jpg
1456147191595484597963.jpg (39.07 KiB) Viewed 532 times
Building an airplane is at times somewhat like a divorce.....with the exception that she doesn't leave
J.J. Flash
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Where you using a pedal?
Beads looks little to high to be 74 amps on such thin sheet.

Please say you cut down the piece after welding. I wouldnt dream on going so close to the edges at that current. :o :mrgreen:

They look nice and consistent though.
    Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:14 pm

Did use a pedal....did not cut plate down. I am trying to control the puddle and arc as much as I can...trying to figure out how to keep it very confined. I think I need to ditch this tungsten and get some 2% lanth. This seems to splinter and arc out the sides after a while at 60 amps or so even with a 45 degree point. Guess this is as small as they can get .... a 3/16 wide bead on 1/16 plate. I have some .032 t6 I want to try and weld...need more arc control for that first.
Building an airplane is at times somewhat like a divorce.....with the exception that she doesn't leave
J.J. Flash

jumpinjackflash wrote:Machine set at 75 amps and 124 Hertz 74% electrode negative I'm using 1/16th 1.5% lanthanated tungsten. 15 - 18 CFH on straight argon. What can I do from here outside of the settings to improve the results I'm getting as far as a shiny consistent bead.... usually goes south of this if I stray outside of the settings. Plate is .062. T6 with 3/32 4043 filler. The last time I went to war with the aluminum was about two years ago with the transformer machine. There is a definite noticeable difference of this DX machine being much more friendly with aluminum and steels from what I've seen.... thanks in advance for any tips that'll help me. I guess I'm looking for a way to get the most focused arc that I can in the smallest puddle width.
Looks good, if you want a more focused arc why stop at 124 hertz? Turn it up!

So I haven't used the 210DX and from reading it seems you don't have the ability to adjust EP/EN separate amperage for AC welding? However you do have the SD slot for software upgrades, have you installed the latest update? If so what did that add?
Richard
Website