Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
quadrod
    Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:28 am

Well I went and did it. I ordered a tig welder from AHP. The new 2016 with improved pules Hz. Won't be here for a month, that gives me time to wire up a receptacle and make room in my shed for it. I already got an inexpensive Jackson safety helmet, big bottle of argon and tungsten's. Now have to get filler rod and gloves, then should be somewhat set to contaminate some tungsten :lol: . I will post some pic's when I get it and of first welds. Wish me luck.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Welcome to the forum! What kind of projects do you have in mind?
Dave
aka "RTFM"
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Welcome quadrod.

And congratulations on the new rig. Like Artie said...what you gonna be welding?

Kym
quadrod

I am restoring a Lotus Europa and have water tubes and pedals to build. Then what ever comes my way. First I have to relearn how to weld. I had a miller dial arc hf 250 twenty years ago. Hopefully it comes back to me fast.
quadrod

Well I finally got my AHP Alphatig 200x. Only played with it a couple of nights now but it is doing good. I want to get a stubby gas lens kit but see prices all over the board. Is there a difference between manufactures? This is for the wp-17 torch that came with the machine. Thanks.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

quadrod wrote:Well I finally got my AHP Alphatig 200x. Only played with it a couple of nights now but it is doing good. I want to get a stubby gas lens kit but see prices all over the board. Is there a difference between manufactures? This is for the wp-17 torch that came with the machine. Thanks.
The kit from www.weldmongerstore.com http://weldmongerstore.com/collections/ ... ccessories is a good choice as is www.usaweld.com http://www.usaweld.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=stubby
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

quadrod wrote:Well I went and did it. I ordered a tig welder from AHP. The new 2016 with improved pules Hz. Won't be here for a month, that gives me time to wire up a receptacle and make room in my shed for it. I already got an inexpensive Jackson safety helmet, big bottle of argon and tungsten's. Now have to get filler rod and gloves, then should be somewhat set to contaminate some tungsten :lol: . I will post some pic's when I get it and of first welds. Wish me luck.
Welcome to the forum AND a new obsession! Warning: welding leads to all sorts of hoarding and collecting of gun parts, filler rods you most likely will never use and a sizeable tungsten collection, among other neurosis'. 8-)
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

quadrod wrote:Well I finally got my AHP Alphatig 200x. Only played with it a couple of nights now but it is doing good. I want to get a stubby gas lens kit but see prices all over the board. Is there a difference between manufactures? This is for the wp-17 torch that came with the machine. Thanks.
I have a 2015 200x. I got the stubby gas lens kit from Jody's Weldmonger Store. Good price and great quality.\

Larry
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
quadrod

The hording is even worse than you think. I have a mill and lathe too
Steel
    Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:29 pm

I just received my ahp this week. I like the machine but am struggling with the mild steel. I think that will come with seat time, I can run a decent aluminum bead though. I'm used to stick and mig so this is a new animal to me.
quadrod

I have been practicing on a 4' tube of 1.25 x .035" wall thickness aluminum that I sectioned up in the lathe. The hard part for me is getting the first tac on the seam. They are not the prettiest welds but functional. Also getting practice filling in holes, :roll:. I ordered some smaller tungsten today to see if will help hold the ark at such low amps on this thin tubing.

quadrod wrote:I have been practicing on a 4' tube of 1.25 x .035" wall thickness aluminum that I sectioned up in the lathe. The hard part for me is getting the first tac on the seam. They are not the prettiest welds but functional. Also getting practice filling in holes, :roll:. I ordered some smaller tungsten today to see if will help hold the ark at such low amps on this thin tubing.
Since you have used the lathe then I presume the ends are square and flat, and deburred. This should allow the pieces to butt together without any gap, if there were a gap it would make it more difficult to get the tack to "jump" across the seam. Having a sharp clean tungsten is important, the only other thing to do would be to purge, on .035" wall this would be a big help not only for tacking but also welding.
Richard
Website