Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
steve-l
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:57 am

Are check valves required at each regulator. I assume the regulator itself acts as a check valve. Any other tips will be welcome as well. I have just ordered a bottle, but nothing else at the moment.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Most regulators do not act as a check valve. You can do it with out check valves and get it to work but a dedicated mixing valve designed for the gasses you will be mixing will give you the best results with the least miss match on the mix ratio.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Actually. I've done it without check valves... A regulator in good condition will not allow enough back-flow to have noticeable mixing through the life/use of the contents. Check valves are cheap insurance, though.

You do not need a "wye" fitting to mix the gasses, a tee will do just fine. The gasses mix very quickly from a tee due to the induced turbulence, and there's a lot of hose between this tee and your weld.

Your flowmeter/regulators should be matched in pressure, i.e. each set at 60 psi, so your mix is consistent at the start. (A second of pre-flow will completely stabilize it.)

Keep in mind, unless you have a helium-specific flowmeter, it's hard to read Helium under 10 CFH, so it's challenging to set a precise ratio.

Steve S
echosixmike
    Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:03 am

I just buy 75/25 He/Ar pre-mix. S/F....Ken M
Red: PowerMIG 300, Square Wave 175
Blue: DEL200, Syncro250, XMT300
Green: STH160
Black: Tweco 181i Fabricator
Oddball: Craftsman HF unit