Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
BigD
    Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:56 pm

Has anyone bought one of these expansions? What's your opinion of it? Or in general, can someone help me understand when you would want the ability?

I wonder if we could do a group buy where a few guys chip in to buy one of these, I doubt the machine bricks the card after it's used.
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

I could be wrong but.........l think software lives on the card, it doesn't get downloaded to the machine. Meaning, remove the card, remove the upgrade.

BigD wrote: Or in general, can someone help me understand when you would want the ability?
I use the ability when I need maximum heat input, when I don't want a wide bead, and I'll use it in conjunction with the AC frequency (not pulse) set high to constrict the arc and also either soft squarewave or advanced sqarewave AC waveform.

There are other situations it can work to the users advantage if adjusted properly.
Richard
Website
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

BigD wrote:Has anyone bought one of these expansions? What's your opinion of it? Or in general, can someone help me understand when you would want the ability?

I wonder if we could do a group buy where a few guys chip in to buy one of these, I doubt the machine bricks the card after it's used.
Yup, highly doubt it works like that. That would be waaaayyyy to easy for just one person to buy one card, and then make money selling copies of the SD card, lol. I'm pretty sure the hoard of engineers at Miller came up with a sure-fire way to make sure that everyone who wants the expansion has to buy one.
dave powelson
    Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:09 am

BigD wrote:Has anyone bought one of these expansions? What's your opinion of it? Or in general, can someone help me understand when you would want the ability?
Zank uses it for pretty new stuff to minimize the cleaning zone:

http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... f=5&t=6391

Dave uses it for old dirty stuff--that 10% of total wave with the EP 'spike' has given me the best, quickest cleaning action
of any setup I've used on trannies or inverters….Zank's Krazee Idea

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?45 ... highlight=

Additionally, for new or nicely clean stuff, setting the EN maybe 50% higher than the EP for lots of heat, works well.
The bottom line being that this is one more way to save significant time and money in the doing.
BigD

Thanks guys! Sounds quite useful.

Has anyone used one of these cards? I've upgraded my 210 so I assumed these were similar, you pop in the card, the machine reads it, does what it needs to and you can remove it. But if the expansion only works with the card inserted, that's pretty limiting. It's the only way I can see them restricting reuse of the card but it also limits you to only one expansion at a time.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

BigD wrote:Thanks guys! Sounds quite useful.

Has anyone used one of these cards? I've upgraded my 210 so I assumed these were similar, you pop in the card, the machine reads it, does what it needs to and you can remove it. But if the expansion only works with the card inserted, that's pretty limiting. It's the only way I can see them restricting reuse of the card but it also limits you to only one expansion at a time.
Unless you call miller and request one card with other expansions also programmed into it and priced accordingly. Not too difficult to find another SD card with a bit more capacity to throw in an extra program or two. I doubt if it's even using a couple of MB of space, let alone GB.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am

The expansion only works with the card inserted.
BigD

Makes sense, thanks guys