Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Nardy
    Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:54 pm

I'm welding up some automotive accessories - rock sliders, ladders for racks, grab rails etc. All are mild steel around 50mmx3.2mm tubing.

I've been using my TIG to do the work as my MIG is a temperamental beast, mostly because it's a bit rusty and sticks quite a bit (my fault for not maintaining it over the years). Anyway, my work has been turning out just fine with the TIG, but I'm concerned that I'm missing something glaringly obvious. Is there a reason why you would use MIG instead of TIG for this sort of work? As far as I can tell, the only benefit MIG offers is speed.

Am I missing something? Are these TIG welds gonna be as strong as the MIG welds?
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Nup, you nailed it, speed is the advantage of mig.
As for strength of weld, that's dependent on the nut holding the gun, get your act together, correct assembly, gap,travel speed, amps, penetration,weld size and wire selection right and you will have full strenght full penetration welds as strong at least as the parent material.
It just takes longer.
One the plus side look at the seat time you're gaining.
Enjoy.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
Nardy
    Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:54 pm

Ok great. I don't mind the time it takes, it's only hobby level stuff anyway.

Good to see another Brisvegas resident here too.