Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Chupuk
    Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:26 am

This has been an annoying problem that I would like to find a cure for. I use a Thermal Arc 160 machine with that uses a combined gas / conductor hose to the torch. Welding on a tubular frame requires the torch to be used at many different angles and most of the time it requires that I must twist the torch to get the geometry right. This gets very tiring and a slight relaxation during welding usually results in a flaw. I have tried as many techniques as I can think of including pre-torqueing the hose then stepping on it and putting the hose over my shoulder, which helps a little but not much. I feel like I have been wrestling with a snake after a few hours of work and my hand muscles get very tired. Any advise from anyone else having this problem would be most welcome.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I'll wrap my lead around my forearm, and see how the torch sits in my hand. Then I'll pull the barrel back, loosen the fitting at the torch, and rotate it in the appropriate direction, and try it again.

You can get that torch to lay where you want it with a little trial and error.

Steve
jakeru
    Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:30 pm

Get a superflex (that is a CK brand name) or other comparable cable, that is made out silicone rubber with the fabric overbraid. They are much more flexible than PVC cables, especially when cold. To take care of it, just don't drag it over any sharp edges, and it will be durable enough without a cover. But, if you need to drag it over sharp edges and have it survive, get some kind of very lightweight and flexible cover to protect it. Although spendy, I would reocmmend the CK leather hose covers. They are pretty thin, flexible, limber, and protective. Of course, no cover at all will be more flexible and limber and lighter.

As far as aircooled torches go, WP9 type or a WP17 type has a much thinner cable than a WP26 type. I would go with a WP9 if it has enough power and duty cycle for the type of welding you are doing. CK makes torches with pretty decent power and duty cycle ratings. They have more metal in the torch head so use a different teflon insulator, that's a little bulkier is the only downside to a CK torch.

You might want to consider copying a setup like this:
http://www.everlastgenerators.com/forum ... n-my-PP256

Cheers
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

Jakeru, you got it.. I've got 25 footers on all my torches now. Love them things.. One thing I also found is to use the right sized zippered covers. I tried a cover for my CK 200 on my CK 350 and the dang thing was like a 2x4 hangin off my torch.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..