Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
OzFlo
    Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:16 pm

Hi All,

I was thinking about proper gas shielding and in particular gas lenses and a couple of questions came to mind.

Why do gas lenses fail to shield properly? Is it because of contamination buildup on the mesh or something else like heat distortion?

Can they be cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner and refurbished or are they simply expendable?

Sorry if these are silly questions.

Cheers.

Flo
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

If you have a lot of spatter on the screen it is impossible to get it out, but you can remove a couple of screens before you notice any major change in shielding. Personally I would remove the first screen and use it. If it gets full of spatter toss it and replace. I charge for gas lens replacement on every job I do. Even though I don't replace them that often. The only time I get spatter really is on case repairs. Otherwise the lens just develops a discoloration from being heat cycled. You might be able to shine them back up in cleaner but I have noticed no difference from a heat cycled one to a new one.
Last edited by dirtmidget33 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

OzFlo wrote:Hi All,

I was ..........................................

Why do gas lenses fail to shield properly?

Cheers.

Flo
If you are having this problem with new lens, there have been ( and probably still are ) some no name brands than will give this problem.

Stick to known brands , e.g.,CK Worldwide, Miller/Weldcraft, Abicor Binzel, etc. There were instances sometime back when junk gas lens were being marked and sold as Weldcraft.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

As a relative noob I've had some blow-ups the size of IED's and I've shut down the torch thinking "Well, that will have screwed my lens" but to my surprise none of my lenses have ever copped platter.

I had one become quite 'smoky' looking, washed it in acetone and it came up like new.

If I ever had one spattered I think I'd just use the 'if in doubt, throw it out' rule.

Kym

Also the alumina cup can be cleaned in a blast cabinet
Richard
Website
OzFlo

Thanks for the replies. I have had a couple of gas lenses from different (and I would assume reputable) suppliers that have performed quite well. The one I am using at present was sourced from BOC Gases. I guess they probably get them from China.

The one I'm using currently seems to be biasing the shielding and not providing even coverage, although to the naked eye there doesn't appear to be an obvious reason as to why this is the case. I might try the acetone soak trick and if it doesn't fix it then I'll swap it out.

Flo
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I buy stainless mesh on eBay just in case I dip the tungsten and get spatter BBs on an otherwise perfectly good gas lens collet body. I have 4130 chromoly tubes wthat I sharpened the edges in just the right sizes that I can punch out circular mesh screens on a 1/4" chunk of copper real quick
OzFlo

Oscar wrote:I buy stainless mesh on eBay just in case I dip the tungsten and get spatter BBs on an otherwise perfectly good gas lens collet body. I have 4130 chromoly tubes wthat I sharpened the edges in just the right sizes that I can punch out circular mesh screens on a 1/4" chunk of copper real quick
And that set up works well? Could you not use a wad punch?
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

OzFlo wrote:
Oscar wrote:I buy stainless mesh on eBay just in case I dip the tungsten and get spatter BBs on an otherwise perfectly good gas lens collet body. I have 4130 chromoly tubes wthat I sharpened the edges in just the right sizes that I can punch out circular mesh screens on a 1/4" chunk of copper real quick
And that set up works well? Could you not use a wad punch?
Well the mesh screens are pretty much identical, so I don't see why it would work. :) what's a wad punch? Nevermind, just Google'd it. Seems like a pretty expensive alternative when I already have tons of chromoly tubing laying around. :)
OzFlo

Mate if it works then who can argue with that!? ;)
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

OzFlo wrote:Mate if it works then who can argue with that!? ;)
If anybody could, he could ;) And my brother. My brother could probably argue that lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
kiwi2wheels

One answer. But no memtion of the screens being available as a part #.

http://www.tectorch.com/Speedway%20Tig% ... s_lens.pdf
OzFlo

kiwi2wheels wrote:One answer. But no memtion of the screens being available as a part #.

I think the idea is that you pull the outer screen off once and then if the second screen becomes contaminated then you scrap the lens. I don't think they envisage replacing the screens..
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

If you pull a screen out of a gas lense then it is no longer working as it was designed to. It may work ok but it's not the same. The screens create back pressure and causes the gas to leave the cup in a more even pattern. For better coverage. It also has to do with making the gas flow stream laminar as it leaves the cup.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
kiwi2wheels

OzFlo wrote:
kiwi2wheels wrote:One answer. But no memtion of the screens being available as a part #.

I think the idea is that you pull the outer screen off once and then if the second screen becomes contaminated then you scrap the lens. I don't think they envisage replacing the screens..
But if you take out the top (2nd ) screen and replace it with a new one, you're back to original.

Maybe machine up a pusher to replicate the original assembly process ?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

By the time you figure in tooling cost and time and materials you can buy a lot of replacements.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Sandow
    Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:52 pm

Delayed repeat post.
Last edited by Sandow on Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red-hot iron, white-hot iron, cold-black iron; an iron taste, an iron smell, and a babel of iron sounds.
-Charles Dickens
Sandow

Copper plated gas lens
Copper plated gas lens
image.jpeg (44.63 KiB) Viewed 1735 times
So for probably less than a penny each, you can electroplate copper onto the screens. It doesn't make them splatterproof but not much sticks to them so you at least double their life. I've been welding on a rusted 62 continental and was trashing them all the time since there are hidden pockets of rust everywhere. The copper extends their life quite a lot and you probably have what you need to do it on hand already.

Mix distilled vinegar and peroxide 1:1 and toss in some stripped braided core wire. Pop the mix in the microwave for a minute and it should start fizzing. Repeat heating cycles until it no longer fizzes when heated and then plate with your target metal on the negative lead and some extra copper wire stripped out as the positive lead. Takes about a minute with a 12v power supply.

-Sandow
Red-hot iron, white-hot iron, cold-black iron; an iron taste, an iron smell, and a babel of iron sounds.
-Charles Dickens

Sandow wrote:Mix distilled vinegar and peroxide 1:1 and toss in some stripped braided core wire. Pop the mix in the microwave for a minute and it should start fizzing. Repeat heating cycles until it no longer fizzes when heated and then plate with your target metal on the negative lead and some extra copper wire stripped out as the positive lead. Takes about a minute with a 12v power supply.

-Sandow
Interesting, can the microwave be used for food after that? :o
Richard
Website
Sandow

Well, the vinegar and peroxide vapors may result in a clean spot amongst the chili splatters but if you can live with the "patina" being damaged it should be fine. The end product is copper acetate which is terrible for you if you are a fish but is mostly harmless if you are human...

-Sandow
-Charles Dickens
OzFlo

DIY copper plating? Love it! I did look at anodising Aluminium at home for some diving torch heads I machined up but never consider copper plating..
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

Considering my low skill level at TIG so far, I think I'm going to try this with one of my lenses, and hopefully save some aggravation and money.

It's also just fun to play with electroplating...
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
Sandow

If you guys like that and are using the CK pyrex sleeve, you might like this too:

http://www.amazon.com/Fused-Quartz-Tubi ... rtz+Tubing

I've used this for about a year after having broken and melted a few of the Pyrex sleeves for $10 each... It needs to be cut with a diamond wheel so have no illusions of scoring and snapping it. The stuff is really tough though and repeatedly dropping it and covering it in splatter ended up with it looking like this after a few months with an occasional brush out. At this rate a meter of it is looking like a lifetime supply lol
Fused quartz cup
Fused quartz cup
image.jpeg (36.89 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
-Sandow
-Charles Dickens
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Sooo-you want to whack off a hunk say a foot for $10?
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
Sandow

rick9345 wrote:Sooo-you want to whack off a hunk say a foot for $10?
Sure why not. You can PM me with details.

Make sure you wear a respirator when you cut or grind it though. Silica needles are not great for you.

Cut it with a thin high speed diamond wheel like a dremel. Angle grinder blades will just chip it. If you have an oxy torch, you can flame polish the ends. If not you can chamfer the insides and outside edges with diamond grinding tools. Ceramic abrasive belts work too and make squaring the ends off after grinding easy.

-Sandow
-Charles Dickens