Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
ajlskater1
    Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 am

Hey guys got 8 weld up 8 4 link bars to a mild steel bung. The tubing is 1/4 is wall 4130. I am going to put a bevel on the tubing. What preheat would you guys recommend for the chromoly? And should I tack then preheat or am I better off preheating then tacking and welding?
Attachments
20160501_195627_1462150588026.jpg
20160501_195627_1462150588026.jpg (84.83 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I would tack then preheat.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
ajlskater1

Do you know what preheat to use?
Poland308

Not for sure but it's probably around 500 deg f.

Josh
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Most high-chrome steels are pre-heated to 350-375. If a second pass is required, interpass temperature should not exceed 400. General guidelines, as I've not done the specific weld you asked about.

Steve S
Sandow
    Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:52 pm

Isn't 4130 considered a low alloy steel?

-Sandow
Red-hot iron, white-hot iron, cold-black iron; an iron taste, an iron smell, and a babel of iron sounds.
-Charles Dickens
ajlskater1

Thanks guys that is the info I was looking for. It's so hard to find preheat temps for some reason.
Wish there was a chart out there. I will have to do 2 passes so I will watch interpass temp. Would you guys recommend a post heat or just let it cool down on its own?
Sandow

My charts say preheat to 300 to 400F and post welding heat treat at 1275 to 1400F. Welding to mild, I'm not sure the post heat treatment makes much of a difference though.

If it is a critical part, I'd use a temp stick: http://www.amazon.com/Markal-Thermomelt ... temp+stick

-Sandow
Red-hot iron, white-hot iron, cold-black iron; an iron taste, an iron smell, and a babel of iron sounds.
-Charles Dickens
ajlskater1

Ya I went and got a 300 temp stick and 400 temp stick so I don't go over interpass temp, cause I will have to do 2 passes. They are 4 link bars, not horribly critical but still want to do it right. My concern about post heated that hot is distorting the threads. I disassembled the Hiem joint so I didn't wreck them with the preheat but still kinda worried about the adopter threads. Think I will find a bolt with the same threads and screw that in during the preheat and weld. I think I will just let them cool on their own.
dave powelson
    Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:09 am

ajlskater1 wrote:Ya I went and got a 300 temp stick and 400 temp stick so I don't go over interpass temp, cause I will have to do 2 passes. They are 4 link bars, not horribly critical but still want to do it right. My concern about post heated that hot is distorting the threads. I disassembled the Hiem joint so I didn't wreck them with the preheat but still kinda worried about the adopter threads. Think I will find a bolt with the same threads and screw that in during the preheat and weld. I think I will just let them cool on their own.
"kinda worried about the adopter threads.
Think I will find a bolt with the same threads and screw that in during the preheat and weld."

That's a great way to permanently seize the bolt to the threads....not every time,
dependent on thread engagement, heat expansion and platings/coatings...but quite often.

Leave threaded ID-open. Chase with tap and lube after.
    Thu May 07, 2015 11:46 am

Have you considered drilling a few holes in the sides of the tubing and adding some plug welds? A local chassis builder told me that he has had some problems with the weld breaking on this type of joint, but if he adds a few plug welds through the sides then he has no problems. I did this on the track bar on my car just to add a little safety to it.
Freddie
Sandow

ajlskater1 wrote:Ya I went and got a 300 temp stick and 400 temp stick so I don't go over interpass temp, cause I will have to do 2 passes. They are 4 link bars, not horribly critical but still want to do it right. My concern about post heated that hot is distorting the threads. I disassembled the Hiem joint so I didn't wreck them with the preheat but still kinda worried about the adopter threads. Think I will find a bolt with the same threads and screw that in during the preheat and weld. I think I will just let them cool on their own.
Yeah, the post welding heat treatment usually seems like voodoo. From what I've read, in thin material it is outright bad due to carbon depletion. From the knife making I've done, the uselessness of the decarb layer is obvious so I believe that notion. In thicker material, that isn't going to happen due to the limits on the diffusion rate so the stress relief starts to win out for overall strength. There seems to be some consensus that over 1/8, do the heat treating.

You may or may not be able to limit thread distortion by putting a grade 5 or 8 bolt in there. I'm guessing you'll still need to chase the threads with a tap though. What I would really recommend is some copper based thread lube/anti-seize cause that bolt will be an absolutute bitch to get out otherwise lol

Curious... What did you decide on for filler?

-Sandow
-Charles Dickens
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

big gear head wrote:Have you considered drilling a few holes in the sides of the tubing and adding some plug welds? A local chassis builder told me that he has had some problems with the weld breaking on this type of joint, but if he adds a few plug welds through the sides then he has no problems. I did this on the track bar on my car just to add a little safety to it.
I am also partial to this idea and have done it with success on my own drag car stuff as well. Definitely do not thread a bolt in the end then weld....
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
ajlskater1

Ok thanks guys, I guess I won't be threading a bolt in it from the sounds of it. I am going to weld it with er 70s2, since there will already be dilution from the mild steel bungs. I beveled the ends of the tube, so that I can get more weld throat, I will do a root pass and come back over the top with a fill. I am going to try and get them all done tonight. I'll post pictures when they are done. I will have to go buy a tap. Thanks for all the advise guys. You guys on the forums are awesome !
ajlskater1

Got them all done tonight. I fitted the adapter with a 1/16 gap, kinda like a socket weld, so there wouldn't be any shrinkage stress cracks. The first one didn't go great at first, the root cracked on me, so I had to grind it out and do it over. I figured out that dipping fast on the root works much better and I got no cracks. At first I tried to space the dips out further and that's when it cracked, think I was getting to much dilution. After the root I did 2 fill passes and then a weave cover. Next time I won't do a 45 degree bevel on the end of the tube it took a lot of fill, mayb like a 20 degree instead. But I think they turned out pretty good for never having welded thick chromoly before. I let the part cool back down under 400 each pass. Took a long time. I think it took like 45 minutes a part. Had a adapter on both ends. Was a lot of fun and hope to get more on this kind of work. Where do you guys find preheat charts?
Attachments
20160505_034932.jpg
20160505_034932.jpg (19.81 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
20160505_035413.jpg
20160505_035413.jpg (28.62 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
20160505_032340.jpg
20160505_032340.jpg (28.45 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
20160505_032445.jpg
20160505_032445.jpg (22.46 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
Poland308

The waiting for the interpass temp is killer. Looks like it went good.

Josh
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Some info I've collected regarding 4130 chromoly:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... VFIN3ZHZjg