Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

When adjusting the flowmeter do you make a "dry" run of the machine (tungsten not welding) to set the flow???

Most say 15-20 on the meter.....anyone use anything different under normal welding conditions?
Rbeckett
    Mon May 10, 2010 7:01 am

I adjust mine when the gas is flowing. It may waste a little gas but I am sure I am getting coverage and it purges the lines prior to actually welding. I used to set it and forget it but found that the setting was too low because once the trigger was pulled the line pressure went down. Give it a try and you can see that for yourself, Just my .02.
Bob
Ultralow787
    Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 pm

Is this a ball type flow meter? They only read when gas is flowing.
I would set the torch for the way you weld without striking an arc. Most of these are read at the bottom of the ball.
Perfection is impossible, but if you strive for perfection, excellence is obtainable!

1983 Canox "Sparkler" 225 AC Stick Welder
Hobart 210 MVP MIG Welder
Harris "Spitfire" Oxy-Acetylene Set
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

Ultralow787 wrote:Is this a ball type flow meter? They only read when gas is flowing.
I would set the torch for the way you weld without striking an arc. Most of these are read at the bottom of the ball.
At present I am using a gauge flowmeter .......I do have a ball type too!
NT Unique

The ball type flow meter is a little more accurate, if in doubt go by a flow gauge that fits over the cup at the torch. This will give you the actual flow at the torch, and it's great for diagnosing faults as well.

Cheers