Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Smokin32
    Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:22 pm

Im a noob waiting to get my tig machine delivered so I can start practicing, but in the meantime Ive been trying to find instructions on as many techniques and tips as I can to practice with in the near future. While there are no shortages of videos and instructions on how to make pretty weld "stack o dime stuff", there is not much on techniques to make welds invisible. Is there anywhere that I can go to get some tips on doing welds that cant be seen? Any tips and techniques on this area would be appreciated and where I will most likely practice on the most.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there.

I dont believe that there is an acutal technique (I may be wrong) that does what you are talking about. It is how the weld is treated afterwards that makes it invisible. Grinding sanding and planishing are some ways of doing this. The main thing to keep in mind is to take it easy and be getle. I think alot of Cannodale push bikes are finished the way you speak of. I hope this is not to confusing.
Mick
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

There are probably machine welding systems that can do what you ask, but they would be held to such tight parameters that it would be almost impossible for a human to do consistantly. That's not saying that you couldn't get an almost perfect unseen weld every now and then, it has happened, but nothing so perfect that it won't need some form of careful grinding or planishing afterwords.

Some types of factory fusion welding can do this. If you look at how pipes and round and square tube are made, they are heated and the seams pressed to gether so they fuse, but they may also be surface ground or milled to clean up the weld.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Hiding a weld in pipe or tube, as in handrail, for example, can be done by hand. The weld, of course, must be rather precise, but the finishing can be accomplished with a Dynafile. This is basically a hand-held belt sander that can accomodate very narrow belts. On a stainless handrail, for example, you simply select a belt the size of your weld bead, and use progressively smaller grit to grind the weld only. Then the joint can be finished with scotchbrite, a wire wheel, or whatever finish the rest of the metal requires.

Even fully automatic TIG requires some finishing of the joint and the HAZ to make the weld disappear.

Steve
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there,

Apart from very specific jobs where it is required, or to actually make the piece look like it was not welded at all, I.E joining hand rails or sheets etc, I prefer to leave the weld as is, apart from passivating S/S welds, of course. I get more wood that way.

Mick
Smokin32
    Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:22 pm

Thank you all for the reply!

I know of one little trick someone showed me where they would drill a hole behind the piece to be welded and the fill it up with a mig gun or whatever welding tool on hand. The two metals are welded together and no welds are visible which is a great lil technique for art projects. I guess I was hoping for more techniques like that one, but sound like its pretty much in the art of grinding and sculpting the metal after the weld that makes the difference. I did however see some tube railing attached together with no visible weld. I assume there may not even be a weld and they were attached somehow with a thread or bolt, but maybe the weld was on the inside of the tubing somehow? Im going to have to go back and inspect that railing a little closer next time.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Ahh. I get it now.

I wasn't thinking of artwork as the context. I live near New Orleans, where wrought iron fences and railings are ubiquitous, and many modern interpretations can be found all over the 'burbs and the Northshore region. Next time I'm home, I'll have to pay attention to the modern, "artsy" stuff (for want of a better word) to see what I can learn.

You've piqued my interest.

Steve