Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

LtBadd wrote:
Rick_H wrote: With no tangent at all these will not work, I cheat them over to get them to clamp on these that have around 1/2" true tangent. I finally got a set of these after taping for years, they really are nice when your mocking up stuff or are in the ceiling. These are TIG tack clamps by Tech South. http://www.techsouthinc.com/pipeclamps/sanitary.html
I always used precision vee blocks to lineup elbows and tees to tube. With the elbow facing up of course, it does a good job mating them for tacking. If the fitup is the least bit off it shows like a sore thumb. :(

I've purchased from TechSouth before, knowledgeable guys there.
Yeah I use V blocks as well, just find what ever works depending on if I'm on a bench or in the plant somewhere, I never take for granted someone previous made their work square, got me a few times.... These clamps are the same way, they show the slightest in perfection. My Exact pipe saw does a pretty decent job, then I file if needed, the cut and fit is the hardwork, the weld is easy.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
AFR_Autoworks
    Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:35 am

Hey guys, I have been so busy with the shop lately I have totally forgot about this place. Here are a few pictures of some recent projects.
Attachments
Downpipe welds
Downpipe welds
image.jpeg (48.31 KiB) Viewed 1952 times
Downpipe fit up
Downpipe fit up
image.jpeg (45.57 KiB) Viewed 1952 times
Turbo manifold
Turbo manifold
image.jpeg (46.7 KiB) Viewed 1952 times
Titanium Intake
Titanium Intake
image.jpeg (70.22 KiB) Viewed 1952 times
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

@ AFR

I hope your customers appreciate the quality they receive.
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Nice.
Nice fit.
Nice finish.
Nice welding.

Cheers
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
    Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:38 pm

It's stuff like this that made me always want to weld ! Awesome stuff AFR !
DSM8
    Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:09 pm

Welded up a skid plate, it had been hard anodized, what a PITA.
So for the hell of it I had some 1" square anodized AL blocks.
Welded them together at 225 and 325 amps.

Wanted to see what the weld nugget looked like. So thought I would share.

6061 Blocks using 4043 filler rod.
Was not trying to make it pretty, and given the amount of crap that was floating up couldn't if I wanted to.

AFR_Autoworks

Thanks for the kind words guys! I am still learning and progressing a ton with each job. Sorry to post again so soon but I was doing some more exhaust work today and these are my best welds to date IMO.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (70.53 KiB) Viewed 1829 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (31.82 KiB) Viewed 1829 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (41.85 KiB) Viewed 1829 times
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

That is some first class work, AFR.

Inspires me to practise, practise, practise.

Kym
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

AFR
did you use the same stick out as shown to
achieve those pretty welds?
if so what kind of gas flow?
very nice!
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
AFR_Autoworks

Hey Craig, yes I did use that amount of stickout. I almost always run 25 CFH unless I have to do some insane weld where I need more stickout. With this cup I have been able to run over 2" and still see coverage.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

AFR
i dont do a lot of stainless but for
tight places in steel tubing that would
be a tremendous help.
thanks for setup info.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Rick_H

Finished up a bunch of little projects last night at work, have a full workload today have to finish welding up a filler.
Attachments
IMG_20160722_172342.jpg
IMG_20160722_172342.jpg (59.21 KiB) Viewed 1930 times
Rocking with my Superior Welding Unbreakable Cup
Rocking with my Superior Welding Unbreakable Cup
IMG_20160722_192958562_HDR.jpg (47.41 KiB) Viewed 1930 times
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB

Rick_H wrote:Finished up a bunch of little projects last night at work, have a full workload today have to finish welding up a filler.
Hey Rick, looks like these are capped on one end and a bracket on the other, is there a weep hole anywhere, and what are these used for...?
Richard
Website
Rick_H

LtBadd wrote:
Rick_H wrote:Finished up a bunch of little projects last night at work, have a full workload today have to finish welding up a filler.
Hey Rick, looks like these are capped on one end and a bracket on the other, is there a weep hole anywhere, and what are these used for...?
They are capped solid no hole, they are just some fancy stands for some Video Jet Printer cleaning stations :) The sanitary pipe happens to fit perfectly and they look nice, so after the guys saw the ones I made for my department, I got called upon to whip some up for others.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB

Nice stuff Rick ! Are those your back shielding boxes next to the finished brackets ?
Rick_H

subwayrocket wrote:Nice stuff Rick ! Are those your back shielding boxes next to the finished brackets ?
Thaks, the lower LH corner I assume is what you are talking about... they are actually reflector mounts for some photo eyes..
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Rick_H

Just a machine guard...
Attachments
IMG_20160726_234924.jpg
IMG_20160726_234924.jpg (42.9 KiB) Viewed 1769 times
IMG_20160726_233208.jpg
IMG_20160726_233208.jpg (55.95 KiB) Viewed 1769 times
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

Rick_H wrote:Just a machine guard...
What is chucked up on that tool?
It looks like a flapper wheel of scotch-brite pads, though I'm assuming it has some specific name and painful price.
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
Rick_H

hey_allen wrote:
Rick_H wrote:Just a machine guard...
What is chucked up on that tool?
It looks like a flapper wheel of scotch-brite pads, though I'm assuming it has some specific name and painful price.
That is a Metabo burnishing machine PT# 12-115, with a scotchbrite style flapper, 900grit at that point. I work in a food plant so finishing is very important, this is one tool I am not sure how I lived without, expensive but worth every penny IMO. You can put the grain back in stainless and blend it so you can not even tell. It has a neat little attachment where I can use scotchbrite or sand belts to polish all around piping.

Here's a cool video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgGoVjC4js

https://www.metabo.com/us/enus/tools/cu ... chine.html
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
fredygump
    Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:01 pm

sticking with the 4B stainless theme... I think this is a wall mounted garbage can, maybe for biohazard waste? It's for a hospital.

We use the Walter 2 in 1 wheels to polish and fix/replace grain. Same idea as in the post above.
Attachments
IMG_20160729_082801.jpg
IMG_20160729_082801.jpg (48.49 KiB) Viewed 1641 times
Rick_H

Nice!
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Ughhh that dreaded film lol. We do a lot of different finished stuff at work and if I never had to work with a film covered piece of stainless again I'd be a happy man. Mirror finish, bead blasted plain, bead blasted with epoxy ink that gets dissolved off with solvent, leaving bright shiny stainless in whatever pattern they had printed (looks cool as fuck), brushed, you name it, it's in a trash receptacle, park bench, or picnic table somewhere lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-

GreinTime wrote:Ughhh that dreaded film lol. We do a lot of different finished stuff at work and if I never had to work with a film covered piece of stainless again I'd be a happy man. Mirror finish, bead blasted plain, bead blasted with epoxy ink that gets dissolved off with solvent, leaving bright shiny stainless in whatever pattern they had printed (looks cool as fuck), brushed, you name it, it's in a trash receptacle, park bench, or picnic table somewhere lol

I know how you feel, sometimes I think you can scratch stainless if you look at it the wrong way :?
Richard
Website
Rick_H

LtBadd wrote:
GreinTime wrote:Ughhh that dreaded film lol. We do a lot of different finished stuff at work and if I never had to work with a film covered piece of stainless again I'd be a happy man. Mirror finish, bead blasted plain, bead blasted with epoxy ink that gets dissolved off with solvent, leaving bright shiny stainless in whatever pattern they had printed (looks cool as fuck), brushed, you name it, it's in a trash receptacle, park bench, or picnic table somewhere lol

I know how you feel, sometimes I think you can scratch stainless if you look at it the wrong way :?
Warps too if you look at it wrong...lol I've got some special lens for your welding helmet that takes care of that issue, they are only $99.99 plus $8 sh
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB

Just a little hand tool I made so I don't have to fumble around with a wrench on the draw bar above the mill .
Got a bunch of these 304 knurled knobs off food service machines at the scrap yard, knew they'd come in handy.
Don't know exactly what the socket is made of so used some 625 rod.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DrawBarTool.jpg
DrawBarTool.jpg (43.43 KiB) Viewed 1861 times