Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Bandit30019
    Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:37 am

I have a 200amp tig ac/dc does great on aluminum wets nice but on the DC for steel it forms a puddle good but when I add filler it's harder to add it doesn't seem to mater the size 1/16-1/8.I've been using the e3 3/32 seems as though the tip stays at the front of the puddle no matter the position of the Tourch.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

What do you mean "it's harder to add", exactly?? what "tip"?
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

I would imagine he means that the rod is burning back before he physically gets it into the front edge of the pedal.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Hard to know when they don't reply back, LOL.
Bandit30019

Sorry haven't got back with yall the filler melts before I can add .and the puddle seems to be small.thanks for the replys.
Bandit30019

This is with a 3/32 tungsten and a gas lens #8.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Bandit30019 wrote:Sorry haven't got back with yall the filler melts before I can add .and the puddle seems to be small.thanks for the replys.
That would be a bad torch angle or too long of an arc. Its easier to watch Jodys videos on torch angle than it is to explain it so that would be a starting point for you. You are melting off the tip of your filler because you have too long of an arc length or bad torch angle which is aiming the arc at the filler rather than the base metal so its melting off before you can dip.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Bandit30019

I keep the touch angle straight up and about a 1/4 stick out.no problems on aluminum. Mabe I'm tilting not knowing it .I haven't tig welded in a while little rusty.thanks
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Bandit30019 wrote:I keep the touch angle straight up and about a 1/4 stick out.no problems on aluminum. Mabe I'm tilting not knowing it .I haven't tig welded in a while little rusty.thanks
Stickout and arc length are completely different things. If you are maintaining a good torch angle and still melting your filler off, then you have too long of an arc length OR a radically wrong torch angle that is pointing toward your filler rod and melting it off before you can dip. If you can send in some pics, there are plenty of good welders around here who can "read your bead" and tell you exactly what your doing wrong. There is nothing new under the sun as far as welding goes so if you can submit some pics, you will find out what you're doing wrong 8-)
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.