Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Oilman
    Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:30 pm

I have been trying to tig some aluminum tanks and welding mostly at night because of the daytime temperatures. So it's cooler but.....that dang kamikaze bugs are attracted to the arc light and committing suicide by diving into the puddle. So then I have to stop because of contamination, grind out and start over. Maybe if I get a bug zapper and put it near the barn door?........ :(
1969 Idealarc 250
Miller 200 MIG
Everlast 200DV
Micro welder
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Yikes, that's a lot of bugs. Maybe you could pick up a roll of window screen, and create a shroud or tent over your work station?
Dave
aka "RTFM"
mcostello
    Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:21 am

I finally had a big thick piece of steel that I could use a 3/16" stick rod on and really burn it in. Got the job done, lifted up My helmet and seen a faintly glowing red puddle cooling down. A big blow fly circled round, seen the puddle and did a fast landing on it and promptly "popped" all over Me. Welcome to the welding world. :o :shock:
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

Lol that's funny. Had a bad job one time at a Tyson plant(weird food grade) and there were roaches all over this corner. When I lit up they all scurried away and froze. When I stopped they'd creep back. I was using it like a bug repellent Arlington get them away so I could measure. That's about the worst I've had tho. Work at an ethanol plant worst is some pigeons getting into the feed on the roof when a line is down. I would suggest fly ribbon or a fan.
Country isn't country unless it's classic.
    Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:07 pm

I had two moths kamikaze on my aluminum joints I was making. There was no glow but I dunno maybe they just wanted the warmth. It was interesting watch them carbonize.

And then more wire brushing!
Lincoln Electric AC225
Everlast PowerPro Multi-Process TIG/Stick/Plasma 256Si
Everlast W300 WaterCooler
Optrel e684x1
22+ Year Security Engineer developing cool shit and stoppin hackers :)
Oilman
    Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:30 pm

Well at least I can look forward to the future. Our plan is to put a radiant tube heater in the barn for winter heat so I should be able to work without unsavory interruptions. Our future plans are for a climate controlled building with a full shop and vehicle service area. Probably be sitting around drinking a beer and reminiscing about the "good ole days" in a year or so.

Good thing it's not June. I can't imagine a June bug diving into a weld puddle.
1969 Idealarc 250
Miller 200 MIG
Everlast 200DV
Micro welder
John Chamorro
    Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:44 am
    San Antonio Valley Peoples Republic of Californy

This time of year we have zillions of deer flies. I call them ear flies as they are constantly in your ears and in my hood. I use 99% Deet and overhead fans and a cross flow fan. If I'm doing TIG , you have to block the wind. MiG isn't bothered so much. Sometimes I just quit and go in for the day.
I don't know it all but I'm working on it.
Drunken Moose
    Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:53 am

Annoying little things (and some big). This one didn't get the puddle, but close enough to get roasted.
Attachments
IMG_20160818_203555.jpg
IMG_20160818_203555.jpg (53.77 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
    Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:07 pm

Here's my two lil "friends"
The carbon life form being carbonized on the carbon steel was the most amusing :)
Attachments
IMG_20160810_203308105.jpg
IMG_20160810_203308105.jpg (66.8 KiB) Viewed 1115 times
DSC03755.JPG
DSC03755.JPG (25.07 KiB) Viewed 1115 times
Lincoln Electric AC225
Everlast PowerPro Multi-Process TIG/Stick/Plasma 256Si
Everlast W300 WaterCooler
Optrel e684x1
22+ Year Security Engineer developing cool shit and stoppin hackers :)
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

I had 3 bugs land in the same 2" aluminum joint while I was messing with settings on a kids Dynasty at work the other day. He wanted to know what the smell was, I just pointed to the fly wing sticking out of a ripple lol.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-