Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Glowzinski
    Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:08 pm

Ok, in July, I got a Bobcat 250. I am teaching myself to weld. Man, I love it. So peaceful. Just you, the material and the machine. It's a beautiful thing. Now, the machine says stick, mig and tig on it. I asked Miller. They said I COULD do some mig. But, it is not really recommended for tig. They suggested I get two of their other machines. My dad used to have a Bobcat and the one I have now works great. I did Miller. But, after spending almost $5000 on a hobby, I want to spend a lot less to continue for right now.

I remember seeing a guys video on youtube. Kevin C. He had a yellow tig welder. It was an AHP. I then looked and I already have it on my wishlist on Amazon. So, this is the welder I am getting in a week or so. As soon as I get my $550 rebate back for getting the Bobcat 250 and the cover.

https://www.amazon.com/AHP-AlphaTIG-Sti ... al_qh_dp_t

Now, I watched a video from a guy who goes by Mr. Tig. He did not like the torch, hose or the things that go on the end of the torch. Over at weld.com, they have a package you can get.

http://www.weld.com/index.php/shop-weld ... kit-detail

I asked them about it. They said that the new version of the welder, the 2016 version, which is the one I would get, has better accessories with it. Since I am new to tig welding and really all welding, I thought I would ask on here, is the set that comes with the machine is good enough, or if you think it is worth the upgrade from weld.com?

I've got the 2015 AHP AlphaTIG 200x, with the old torch and I'm learning TIG with that. If they've upgraded the torch for the 2016 model, I'd figure it's fine to start with. I may outgrow the torch someday, and then I'll upgrade. In the meantime, it TIGs better than I do.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

The torch in the current model is very good. I would not buy a different.torch just for learning on. As a distributor for AHP and a long term reviewer, I have been involved in the ongoing torch improvements. This is actual about the 4th version of the AHP torch. As it has received multiple changes to make it better.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Glowzinski
    Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:08 pm

Thank you! Well, my mom will be happy that I'm not spending more of my money. haha Good times.
    Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:52 am

You will know when/if the torch does not suit you. Until then weld with what you get. The torch and foot pedal will not be the weak link as you learn to weld. Usually that is 99% operator error. Once the hardware is the weak link, you will know what you need/want better anyhow.
-Jon

I learned how to weld at night, but not last night. (despite how my weld looks)

Lincoln Viking 3350 K3034-2&3
Dynasty 210DX w/cps and coolmate3
Lincoln Power Mig 180c
hermit.shed on instagram