Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Fairlane
    Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:10 pm

Hey guys , I want to buy a tig machine to learn on. I had decided to buy the Lincoln square wave 200 which is about $1400 but a buddy just offered me a miller diversion 185 that he has used for less than 30 minutes for $1500. Which do you think would be a better machine for a beginner? Thanks!
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Squarewave is probably better. As you gradually move along it will have more features to advance you like pulse. It seems like Lincoln is usually easier to learn on. And it may be cheaper since you can control post flow I think so you'll save on argon.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

I believe the Lincoln 200 Squarewave has a fixed postflow of 15 sec.
    Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:07 pm

I bought the Everlast 256Si with a water cooler for $2200. Couldn't be happier but I'm a n00b myself. This machine will do everything I want and more. You can step it down and get a cheaper unit that's not water cooled from them too like the 205S(i). There's a lot of people that come from the Blue/Reds that are really starting to believe in the Green machines. Don't look past em just cuz you want to support America either. Blue n Red still purchase all their components mostly from China still, just keep a certain percentage and assembly in the US to claim it was born in the USA.
Lincoln Electric AC225
Everlast PowerPro Multi-Process TIG/Stick/Plasma 256Si
Everlast W300 WaterCooler
Optrel e684x1
22+ Year Security Engineer developing cool shit and stoppin hackers :)
    Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:52 am

Too bad you just missed the $200 rebate on the squarewave, but I would say that is still the better machine of the two. The diversion has hard connections on the torch and ground clamp and the foot pedal has an ethernet plug so upgrading is impossible (or at least really complicated). Squarewave is all industry standard connections and comes with a warranty.
-Jon

I learned how to weld at night, but not last night. (despite how my weld looks)

Lincoln Viking 3350 K3034-2&3
Dynasty 210DX w/cps and coolmate3
Lincoln Power Mig 180c
hermit.shed on instagram
Turbo
    Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:11 pm

My first tig machine was a diversion 165. DON'T BUY ONE! I would go for the square wave. AC balance adjustment is a must for welding aluminum.

They have one week tig courses at the Lincoln headquarters for $690. You can try out all of the machines and see how made in the USA they are. You also get a code for a factory direct welder, but I never checked what kind of discount they give you.
Miller Dynasty 210dx

instagram: rsengineeringllc