Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
StephanusThie
    Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:55 am

How a gas saver save the gas we used? By decreasing the flow rate? I mean, when we used Gas Saver we may decreased the flow rate to 40% compared to non gas saver? Or?..
Need info from you guys that used to use Gas Saver.
Thank you.
StephanusThie
Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
Hypertherm Powermax65
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

A gas lens diffuses the flow from your cup so that there is less turbulence. I use them almost exclusively.

When welding on the bench in calm air, you can get good results with flow rates down to 5 CFH. (Please don't ask me to convert that to LPM; I don't know that particular conversion.)

That's about 1/3 the flow a standard collet body requires.

Steve
StephanusThie

Thanks Steve, but I mean gas saver, not gas lens. Or they are the same?

Rgds,
Steph.
Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
Hypertherm Powermax65

Yep.

As far as I know, "gas saver" is a brand name for a gas lens.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will let us know...

Steve
StephanusThie

I think they're bit different. You can check them out on www.ckworldwide.com .
Would you tell the cup size you used with 5cfm argon flow, and on what position did you weld that? Anymore, 1/3 means you save 66%. Thats impresive.
I wanna change my regular collet body to gas saver because of that (save 40% gas). By the way, thanks for sharing Steve.

Rgds,
StephanusThie
Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
Hypertherm Powermax65

CK's "Gas Savers" are similar to gas lenses and operate on the same principle, with the primary difference being that CK's diffuser is matched to the cup size, where a gas lens is a single size that fits the torch body and will fit various sizes of cups.

I've run 5 CFH (Okay, I got curious and did the math. That's about 30 LPH, or 0.5 LPM, for anyone with a metric flowmeter.) with ceramic cups #5 through #10 on a small 18-series torch. This was in a shop during cool weather where the only air moving was due to exhaust fans high on the wall, so the air was very calm at workbench level.

I have one of CK's sales flyers somewhere; They make some impressive stuff. I do a lot of very restricted access welds where that Pyrex cup would be a blessing, particularly with their micro-torch.

I'd forgotten that was where I saw the thumb control I was going to recommend to a poster on another topic. Thanks for the reminder.

Steve
StephanusThie

What a good information Steve,thank you for sharing. It's nice to learn from you.

StephanusThie
Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
Hypertherm Powermax65
StephanusThie

hi Steve, been searching a while and found that 1CFH = 0.472LPM. So your 5CFH = 2.36LPM.
Are you sure tour flow is correct? Isn't it too low? I usually use 7-8LPM on #6-7 nozzles.

Thaks,
Stephanus
Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
Hypertherm Powermax65

I skipped the last step-- I converted 1 CFH to 1 LPM (.47 approx), and forgot to multiply by 5 to get 2.35. Silly me... :oops:

Yes, I've welded at 5 CFH, in very calm air.

Steve
StephanusThie

Well, that's pretty low mate...I wanna try it sometimes. O yea..on what material you used that flow setting?
Thank you Steve.
Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
Hypertherm Powermax65

304 SS, schedule 5, 3 & 4 inch. I was walking the cup with a very short stick-out.

Steve
StephanusThie

Ok, thanks Steve for sharing.

Stephanus
Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
Hypertherm Powermax65