Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
turbomiles@gmail.com
    Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:23 pm

My HTP Invertig 201 came with a CK17 swivel head torch. Said torch has come to the end of its life so I bought a WP26 for its higher amperage rating. Well the connector that screws to the torch is different. Can someone point me in the right direction for an adapter. I don't know the thread size, pitch, type for either the WP26 or the hose end. Thanks for any help.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Welcome to the forum. Can you post a picture showing the problem?
Dave
aka "RTFM"
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Sorry but you are unlikely to find an adapter though anyone with a lathe could make it - the reason they don't is commonly with air cooled torches there are 2 cable sizes - small fits WP9 & 17 so is kept as thin & flexible as practical as it's rated 150amps max - jump to the WP26 & the cable & connector jumps up to carry 200amps - so in theory you could make an adapter but trying to run 200 amps on the small cable to a 26 torch the torch will be fine & you will fry the cable instead nearly always in the torch handle where it cook your hand ! - bottom line is you really need a new hose assembly.
turbomiles@gmail.com

That makes perfect sense, thank you
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

That is one of the main differences between the two models. Hence the different part numbers
turbomiles@gmail.com

Bought another 17 torch. Plan on getting a 20 and making a water cooler. Hate that the 17 torch gets so hot. Thanks for your help.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Water cooled is the way to go I think if you don't need to be mobile - I have to move mine around enough I never went the water cooled route but I do agree the fried hand is not great - for what it's worth my torch was a generic Chinese 17 on their version of superflex & it got used a lot of hours - always too hot for comfort as the hottest bit is the transition in the handle so I spent a small fortune with the only stockist I could find here for CK & bought a trimline 26 superflex & some stubby gas lens's - this came out about the same price as the machine ! & truthfully is no better in any way - gets just as hot - I'm thinking of keeping it just for mobile & doing a home made cooler to use a 20 when in the workshop - just hard to justify the cost - Tig is great when working for someone else like I have done - own one & the extra expenses of all the things you want escalate which is kinda OK if you have enough good paying jobs to fund it - but if it's hobby / side jobs then really not worth it - trouble is many people now want to use Tig or have jobs done wit it where it is not the logical or cost effective choice - it's just a look that has become close to a fetish.