Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Glowzinski
    Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:08 pm

I got my AHP Alpha Tig today. Just seeing if it started. Haha. I tried to plug the thing into my Bobcat 250, using the plug that comes on the machine. It did not seem to fit. Didn't seem wide enough. Anyone try it? I mean, it would suck if I could not use the AHP at the highest amps. Maybe there is an adapter I could get? Fill me with your knowledge.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Some years back I bought a MIG machine that didn't even >have < a plug, the assumption being you would match the plug to your power source.

Your choices are, match the Bobcat to the AHP, or match the AHP to the Bobcat. Since modifying the Bobcat would be much more difficult, i suggest modifying the AHP.

The Bobcat manual should tell you the NEC name for the receptacle, or you can visually match it to pictures online. From there it's just a matter of finding the plug that mates with your receptacle, and installing it.

All this assumes you did your homework to verify the Bobcat provides enough scrote to run the AHP. :-)
Last edited by Artie F. Emm on Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Just realized: another alternative is to make a little "jumper" or extension cord. On one end of the cable, attach a receptacle that matches the AHP plug; on the other, attach a plug to match the Bobcat receptacle.
Dave
aka "RTFM"

If your Bobcat 250 is the same as my 225, the 240 volt recep is a NEMA 14-50R. The plug on the AHP (I have one) is a NEMA 6-50P. You need an adapter with a 14-50P plug on one end and a 6-50R recep on the other. Miller sells one under the name "Full field adapter" or something like that. They're kinda proud of 'em, about $75. You can also build one if you're of a mind to. The parts are available at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. If you build one, use at least #6 AWG wire.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
Glowzinski

Thank you for the info. I shall attempt to make one later!
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

My suggestion is to buy a 50 foot extension cord that the Alphatig plugs into and change the plug to one that fits the Bobcat. From what l gather the Alphatig will only ever be used powered by the Bobcat.
Glowzinski

I've never done any kind of electrical thing. So, I would really have not a clue. haha I could figure it out. I can buy a $70 thing from Roberts Oxygen.

I had no luck tig welding today. haha I could not get the puddle started. Actually, it was odd. Really, nothing happened. BUT, first time I ever tried it. All in good time.

Glowzinski wrote:I've never done any kind of electrical thing. So, I would really have not a clue. haha I could figure it out. I can buy a $70 thing from Roberts Oxygen.

I had no luck tig welding today. haha I could not get the puddle started. Actually, it was odd. Really, nothing happened. BUT, first time I ever tried it. All in good time.
I bought the Miller adapter. By the time you go buy connectors and cable and spend your time, it was worth it to me to get the factory unit. It's got molded plugs and all, real nice unit. Worth it in the time saved to me.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

ldbtx wrote:
Glowzinski wrote:I've never done any kind of electrical thing. So, I would really have not a clue. haha I could figure it out. I can buy a $70 thing from Roberts Oxygen.

I bought the Miller adapter. By the time you go buy connectors and cable and spend your time, it was worth it to me to get the factory unit. It's got molded plugs and all, real nice unit. Worth it in the time saved to me.
It will cost you about $40 to make one. Plugs are about $15 each and you need one for each end. and $6 for a couple feet of cable plus tax. It might be worth buying the fully molded adapter plug for an extra $30.
dmcnally
    Sun May 22, 2016 11:45 am

I made a custom extension cord for my AlphaTIG. It's 30' long and has a (male) dryer plug (10-50P) on one end and a (female) recepticle (6-50R) on the other end. I didn't save any money making the extension cord, but it's the length I wanted (30' versus 25' or 50').

Dave

FWIW, it works great and I'm very happy with it.
100_2421.JPG
100_2421.JPG (64.56 KiB) Viewed 1117 times
    Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:29 pm

I would be interested in hearing (well, reading) how well this setup works, and if there has been any longevity issues in doing this.

I have a Miller Trailblazer that I went the other route on, with the H/F adapter and all. I was unable to find much (if any) information on doing it at the time, not sure if the situation was that nobody was doing it, or if just nobody wanted to share, so I had to take the gamble & try it myself...... It certainly wasn't cheap, but doing it the way I did leaves you without the bells & whistles..... Now I'm looking at buying an inverter machine and trying what you guys are doing.
Too soon old......Too late smart.
Glowzinski

I got the plug from Miller. Works great. Though, I've not been able to weld for a bit. Sick, then I screwed my back up playing with a baby. haha