Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Spencer
    Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:36 am

Hello everyone,
I just ordered a gas lens setup and had a few questions on my initial setup for welding some 1 ¾ DOM .120 wall tubing.
I will be using 1/16 2% Lanthanated Tungsten and a gas lens setup with a #5 cup. Just wondering what flow rates I should be with this setup. Would 15 cfh be sufficient with a gas lens?
I will also be using a 3/32 filler rod
My machine’s (Thermal Arc Arc Master 185) DC recommended initial amperage settings for 1/8 steel is 125.
I have not used my TIG machine in quite awhile so I am refreshing my skills & memory as I go.
Any other input is appreciated

Thanks!
ajlskater1
    Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 am

15 - 20 cfh should do the trick. And also I would probly recomend bumping up to a 3/32 electrode for welding 1/8 steel.
RedIron881
    Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:29 am

I agree with 15-20 but be more on the higher side. You can always back off a bit. Also, agree that 3/32 tungsten would be better. Here's a link with a lot of info about TIG welding and settings, gas, tungsten, and so on. It will get you in the ballpark and then you can see what works best for you.

http://www.ckworldwide.com/technical_specs.pdf
StephanusThie
    Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:55 am

Any body would tell me what DOM stands for?
With #5 nozzle and gas lens I think 10cfh is enough (for flat position).

Thank you,
Stephanus.
Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
Hypertherm Powermax65
jakeru
    Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:30 pm

DOM = "Drawn Over Mandrel" (that's some nice tubing IMO, too...)

That CK technical specs link posted before is a good one.
Here (at the bottom of the page) is the specific portion that references the gas flows, and also the current for various tungsten diameters:
http://www.ckworldwide.com/tech-3.pdf

Off the top, I would probably be around 10-12 cfh with the #5 gas lens in a non-windy environment and without a huge amount of stickout, at least.

You might stick on the #8 cup though and go up to around 15 cfh for better coverage.

Also, I think a 1/16" 2% lanthanated tungsten (DC) sounds perfect for 1/8" mild steel; (I'd prefer it for that application over 3/32" myself.)
StephanusThie
    Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:55 am

Hi Jakeru, thank you for informations.

Steph.
Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
Hypertherm Powermax65