Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Rcc
  • Rcc
    Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:44 pm

looking for some advise here have a job coming up for a friend he wants me to weld the center section of a axle to the tubes and then weld trusses to the axle it is a dana 44 He told me the center section is cast steel. has anybody done this? And how to tell for sure it is cast steel not cast iron?
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Rcc wrote:And how to tell for sure it is cast steel not cast iron?
Jody showed this a few times in his videos. Clean a section/edge of the casing, puddle a ridge/edge (no filler!), let it cool and then try running a file over the little solidified 'blob'.

If it files normally then it's (cast) steel. If it goes hard and the file just skids over it then it's high-carbon and likely cast-iron.

In the last case, you're likely better off brazing (and perhaps pinning) the tubes (in)to the diff housing.

Bye, Arno.
dave powelson
    Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:09 am

Rcc wrote:looking for some advise here have a job coming up for a friend he wants me to weld the center section of a axle to the tubes and then weld trusses to the axle it is a dana 44 He told me the center section is cast steel. has anybody done this? And how to tell for sure it is cast steel not cast iron?
spark test--compare grinding sparks from steel and the diff.--
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Do you have a jig or fixture to keep the tubes straight?
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Rcc
  • Rcc
    Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:44 pm

I plan on making a jig. Use some rectangular tubing and have some uprights with some clamps.