Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:07 pm

It's my girl's bike and I'm not that eager to join a Yamaha forum since I've got my Honda CBR, BUT maybe someone will know here...

I need to fix a dent and small crack in the exhaust tip that's riveted on. I figured stainless but decided to do some searching and I'm not finding much good info since most people try to replace their exhaust, not continue using the stock for usually dumb reasons.... Alas of all the info I sifted through I'm seeing some say the factory tip is stainless and then I see some others saying it's titanium, and then I see some saying it's a mix of titanium/SS and using SS filler rod is ok.

I can do the spark test BUT if someone knows for sure it'd help :) Looks like white sparks and a fair amount of em it's Ti and if it's orange and somewhat sparse in sparks it's SS .
Lincoln Electric AC225
Everlast PowerPro Multi-Process TIG/Stick/Plasma 256Si
Everlast W300 WaterCooler
Optrel e684x1
22+ Year Security Engineer developing cool shit and stoppin hackers :)

Well shit... in big bold fancy laser cut print it says exactly what it's made out of. TITANIUM.... This should be fun :D
Lincoln Electric AC225
Optrel e684x1
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Always a good learning experience. Anything thin is a good way to learn quick.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick

especially if it's cheaply replaceable and not integral ;)

If I don't wanna drop the cash for Ti filler, I understand the Silicon Bronze might be a good alternative? I beat all the dents and the two small cracks back into place so it's like .5 mm crack width about 5mm long right at the very end of it. Worst case it fails but it won't be an issue just need to know if Silicon Bronze is a worthy metal to use.
Lincoln Electric AC225
Optrel e684x1
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

entity-unknown wrote:especially if it's cheaply replaceable and not integral ;)

If I don't wanna drop the cash for Ti filler, I understand the Silicon Bronze might be a good alternative?
source?

I think it was the Yamaha R6 forum, but it was one post of someone saying it was a great alternative and something they did a few times. I know in general it's good for joining (brazing) dis-similar metals but this is why I'm asking not telling.
Lincoln Electric AC225
Optrel e684x1
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Can't say I've heard of that. I'll have to look through my Titanium information depository.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

I feel like for an whist silicon bronze or any brazing may not be the best. Not an exhaust or Ti expert but I do know exhaust gets hot and if it gets too hot the silicone bronze or braze metal could get a little soft and cause you problems and it will also wear a little quicker. I'd personally recommend actually welding it with Ti filler or a replacement.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

i have never brazed TI but have brazed (OA) tabs on two stroke
expansion chambers to attach spring to the cylinders more
times than i can count with out failures or melting.
take this info for what its worth.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
    Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:29 pm

I found someone on ebay that sold Ti rod by the stick. I'd imagine that an exhaust tip wouldn't take much. I just had to weld a broken tab on my Yoshi pipe, so I just bought two sticks from him & it worked great. I can't remember exactly how much it cost me, but I'm a cheap bastard, so it couldn't have been too far out of line...... Good luck
Too soon old......Too late smart.

Thanks man! It's coming up soon, just fixing everything else along the way. I got time since we're waiting on customs for some China parts. Tis the season!
I ended up buying Grade 1 Titanium from TiCon. I also got a 10% discount code anyone could use for any first time direct purchase :D
I got 1/2 lbs of 1/16 rod so I got about 27 total rods. I'll probably be doing what that guy did and sell all but the one I need and maybe a couple just to say I have it laying around. You're more smart than I am ;)
I really do not see Ti in my future besides this and if I do then obviously I have the need for it, and the cash for it so buying another box won't hurt. Besides the money, I did say that mostly about stainless and steel too but I've been welding both more than I thought ;)
Lincoln Electric AC225
Optrel e684x1