Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
poodle
    Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:16 pm

Have a friend at work who was fitting a new beaver tail on his 1911 and took way to much metal off his frame. He asked me if I could build it back up for him. Need to build up 2 spots about 3/32 deep and 5/16 long. The frame is made of 416 stainless. I think I am going to use 309 filler wire since where it needs to be built up has absolutely no stress on it at all. What do y'all think 309 no preheat or 410 and preheat?
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

poodle wrote:Have a friend at work who was fitting a new beaver tail on his 1911 and took way to much metal off his frame. He asked me if I could build it back up for him. Need to build up 2 spots about 3/32 deep and 5/16 long. The frame is made of 416 stainless. I think I am going to use 309 filler wire since where it needs to be built up has absolutely no stress on it at all. What do y'all think 309 no preheat or 410 and preheat?
You should be fine with the 309L, just watch for post weld cracking as it hardens.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Here is some good reference information on stainless put out by Lincoln. Filler listed in PDF for416 is ER410 and ER312.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... YjAwx-dpHg
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
poodle

Thanks for the input. I wonder why Lincoln does not list 309. It has been on every list I have seen besides the one from Lincoln. Will let y'all know how it comes out but it will be a few days because I will have to order the filler, non to be found around here.
poodle

Just as a follow up, did not get to do the job cause the guy found someone that just had to have it so he sold it. You had to look really hard to tell where he had shaved it to much and the guy said he did not care so everything was good. I got my rods in and he paid for them so I am cool with it.