Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Corvax7
    Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:16 pm

Hey, I am a welding student in high school and I thought I could etch I one of my 1/4 inch lap welds, the etch was not super good so I outlined it in sharpie. Is this suitable for tig? are there changes I could make to make this a better weld? I would like your input.
Attachments
IMG_20161202_124733.jpg
IMG_20161202_124733.jpg (48.28 KiB) Viewed 374 times
IMG_20161202_124800.jpg
IMG_20161202_124800.jpg (43.1 KiB) Viewed 374 times
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Micro is done with a microscope. Macro etch is a visual inspection. In this case the macro etch hasn't worked so we can't see anything and therefore can't make comment.

You need to do it again. Polish the joint to smooth and shiny with 400 grit or better wet and dry if you have no other mechanical means and etch with 10% nital or pickling gel. Rinse off dry and photo straight away or spray with clear or it will rust in minutes . The joint will be fully revealed for all to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I agree, nothing has truly been etched and drawing sharpie lines over what can't be seen doesn't help at all.
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Here's a video that will help you etch your welds using everyday products readily available at hardware store, Wal-Mart or auto part store. Prolly should show a picture of weld along with your etch. That way everyone can give you better advice depending on what's going on.

Etching video
https://youtu.be/8DPhc5K_thg

Also this article will give you information on penetration and fusion in your weld joints.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/su ... 20provided
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.