Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Looking for some recommendations on using a Helium mix to TIG some 1/4" and 3/8" aluminum. Using a Dynasty 200 with a 17 air cooled torch. My understanding is that the % of Helium will allow me to run lower amps with equal or better heat. But, do you recommend 90/10 or 80/20 for reliable results? This project is purely for myself, nothing structural that lives depends upon, and certainly no certification tests. Do you change the cup size as a result of choosing to use Helium, or stick with your standard cup choice?

Any recommendation about how much CFH with either mix too would be appreciated. And of course, roughly what percentage of amperage drop at the unit would I likely see as a result of the mix, 5%, 10%, 20%?

So I'm mostly looking for guidelines because I understand "actual mileage will vary" but know many of you will have some great insight.

Thanks!

If I remember the LWS sells mixed Ar/He at 75/25 and 50/50, not sure about other % but someone else will know.

Below 25% helium I don't think you'll see much difference, translating % helium to amps would be difficult I believe you'll just have to try the mix and see.
Richard
Website
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

IF this is just for you, just bevel the joints on either side or both sides and weld em up.

I have a Dynasty 200 I have done plenty of 3/16" and 1/4" with it, 80 or 60 grit flap disc and off you go.
if there's a welder, there's a way
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

You definitely need a decent amount of helium to get a good benefit.

I found this picture online, don't know how accurate it is.

Normally, the part of me that's in the gutter would say something about this, but I am not going to.

I would honestly just do it AC if it was me, I have done it and it takes some beveling but I can't even imagine the amount of heat you would need to do it DC.

Olivero wrote:Normally, the part of me that's in the gutter would say something about this, but I am not going to.

I would honestly just do it AC if it was me, I have done it and it takes some beveling but I can't even imagine the amount of heat you would need to do it DC.
I reread the OP, don't see any mention of welding this DC...? Or AC :|
Richard
Website

LtBadd wrote:
Olivero wrote:Normally, the part of me that's in the gutter would say something about this, but I am not going to.

I reread the OP, don't see any mention of welding this DC...? Or AC :|

Lol, my bad, I thought I was on a different post.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Olivero wrote:IF this is just for you, just bevel the joints on either side or both sides and weld em up.

I have a Dynasty 200 I have done plenty of 3/16" and 1/4" with it, 80 or 60 grit flap disc and off you go.
Thanks, I know I can do it without using Helium. The goal is to do it with less than 150 amps on AC if that's possible with a Helium mix. I know I can run my 17 air cooled torch above that, I know the Dynasty will do it, I'm exploring alternatives to straight high amperage on AC.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

cj737 wrote:
Olivero wrote:IF this is just for you, just bevel the joints on either side or both sides and weld em up.

Thanks, I know I can do it without using Helium. The goal is to do it with less than 150 amps on AC if that's possible with a Helium mix. I know I can run my 17 air cooled torch above that, I know the Dynasty will do it, I'm exploring alternatives to straight high amperage on AC.
50/50 Helium/Argon on 1/4" at 150A will work quite well on very clean metal. If you can't go above 150 briefly when you start, pre-heat the metal for an easier start.

Steve S