Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Rcc
  • Rcc
    Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:44 pm

anybody have some tips on 1/4" thick aluminum? Been messing around with some outside corners and butt joints. I can't get the weld to hold by what I mean I would but the piece in a vice and be able to break the joint the weld cracks right in the middle. running about 200-215 amps getting a good puddle while welding and looks good when done but when tested it breaks. using 3/32 4043 and 3/32 tungsten on the dynasty 280
christhewelder75
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:15 am

4043 rod is the problem. Found it out doing test welds for a project in the shop with aluminum gmaw switched to 5356 and it held waaay better.

Give that a go. I'm sure 4043 welded on both sides would hold but I don't think it's made for that kind of force application.

I may be wrong but that's my experience with it.

Rcc
How long is this piece that you welded? Did it break with one hit from a hammer, or after several?
Can you see penetration to the root of the joint?
Richard
Website
Rcc
  • Rcc

The pieces were small. 5"X1" 1/4" thick. Took a few hits with the hamer I know the heat build up is a lot on the small pieces it was just some scrap I had laying around. If I put more heat into it would become a melted mess. Had the machine at 150 herz then tried it around 230. With 68% balence I will try some 5356
nelson
    Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:21 pm

Should we assume 6061.
Stone knives and bearskins.....and a NEW EVERLAST 164SI !!!
That's my newly shared work welder.
At home I got a Power Tig 185 DV. Nice, but no plasma cutting... Nice tight arc after a second.
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Try some 4943, that stuff is making a name for itself on the market for being the stronger 4043, flows as good, welds as easy but like 30% stronger or so.
if there's a welder, there's a way
Rcc
  • Rcc

yes 6061
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Rcc wrote:yes 6061
Try some 4943 according to Hobarts charts, 6061 to 6061 should weld pretty strong with 4943.
if there's a welder, there's a way
Rcc
  • Rcc

I will stop by the LWS for some 4943
Rcc
  • Rcc

image.jpg
image.jpg (30.08 KiB) Viewed 873 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (30.08 KiB) Viewed 873 times

Nice welds
Richard
Website
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Nice looking weld first off.

In my opinion, when you say it breaks in the middle of the weld, that's normal for what you have pictured.

The weld isn't fully done yet. The corner is still flat and would break in the middle.

If you imagine the corner of angle material you'll see that this weld still needs more reinforcement. Unless you like this look, then you are done :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Rcc
  • Rcc

Thanks this is the one that I could bust apart split right down the middle of the weld