Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
MeatHead
    Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:34 am

I'm looking to upgrade my single flow argon regulator to a dual flow setup. Has anyone used the Smith 33-50-580 Dual Flow Argon Regulator and what do you guys think about it? (I want this for stainless steel pipe backpurge work)..
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Hi, MeatHead,

I actually just built my own. I took two regulator/flowmeter assemblies, unscrewed the flowmeter component from both, and made a simple manifold for both flowmeters from standard pipe fittings and screwed them into one regulator body. As I started with used components, I don't think I had $30 in the whole setup, and it worked like a charm.

I haven't priced the flowmeter you mentioned, but it might be worth considering.

Steve
StephanusThie
    Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:55 am

Hi Steve,
Do you have picts of your home made dual flow meter regulator and would you upload here? Maybe I'm going to make one like yours. Thank you Steve.

Steph.
Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
Hypertherm Powermax65

I'll take some pics today or tomorrow.

Steve

Okay, here's a couple of pics--

I started with two Smith two-piece regulator/flowmeters. The nipples between the tee and each flowmeter are the original ones with the restricting orifice, while the new nipple between the regulator and the tee is a normal full-flow nipple. Use teflon tape or a good quality pipe dope, and check the connections with soapy water. (Actually, any time you hook up to a bottle, you should to this at the bottle connection AND the bottle's valve bonnet. Be sure the valve is opened all the way, as there is a positive seal in that position on all high-pressure bottles.)

Since the changes are downstream from the regulator, plain 'ol standard duty hardware store parts will do. Here in the U.S., all the fittings are 1/4" NPT.

If you wanted to do the same thing with one-piece regulator/flowmeters, you could tee at the bottle fitting before the regulators, BUT you will need to use AT LEAST sch. 80, preferably sch. 160 nipples and fittings to withstand full bottle pressure.

The purge line draped around the flowmeters in the last picture is actually a super-flexible gas hose from a water-cooled torch.

Steve
StephanusThie

Hi Steve,thank you for sharing. Now this is clear. I am not good at english so I need pict. Thank you for your time taking these picts.
Regards,
Steph.
Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
Hypertherm Powermax65

You're welcome.

Give yourself some credit. You write English better than some of my friends speak it. :lol:

What is your first language?

Steve
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Congratulations Everyone.

This is the kind of posting that makes this forum a joy to be part of. Keep up the good work.

Mick
StephanusThie

Hi Steve,
‎​i'm Indonesian,so Indonesia is my first language. I live in Sorong, Papua.
Θ.. do you have FB account? What's your name on FB? Mine is Steve ϑ'Saxman.
Anybody else here has FB account?

@Mick, yes I found this forum more helpfull than Miller forum. In there, nooby like me always get bashed/mocked. Only a few senior is willing to help.

Rgds,
Steph.
Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
Hypertherm Powermax65
StephanusThie

That's fine Steve,I apreciate that.

Rgds,
Steph.
Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
Hypertherm Powermax65