Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sat May 24, 2014 5:55 pm

LtBadd wrote:
raticus wrote:
and if only I could get the camera to focus on this corner weld of very thin 26gauge SS... managed some fusion fillets too but filler fillets just wasn't happenin'
What dia filler did you try? That thin material can be done with .030" but you have to be tight and quick ;)
i probably just used our own homemade filler at work... we just take a sheet of SS and feed it through the shear in automatic mode, trying to move it only a 1/16th of an inch at a time, to make filler rods. I probably used something smaller than I could even handle to try that fillet on the 26gauge... I can never feed the small filler quick enough, I definitely don't have the skills. Whatever I used, it would just blow through... i'd have it for about a half inch and then daylight...
can't believe it took me this many years to buy a diamond wheel for my bench grinder... what a difference
BigD
    Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:56 pm

A friend of mine found a turbine housing that is perfect for his needs but had a weird v-band. He had an adapter with the right v-band and he needed the extra length anyway, so I mated them up for him. I did the spark test and it made dense long yellow sparks, which seems to confirm what I read that Garrett housings are cast steel. I welded both sides just in case, hope it serves him well.
turbine_housing.jpg
turbine_housing.jpg (76.53 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

NIce work!
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder

Damn RickH...nice work...I got a shitpile more of that 347 rod when you need it. I been using it and other than feeling like my welds will outlast me...compared to 309.... it's no big deal...but now I really look like I know what I'm doing. :lol:
malmac
    Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:32 pm

I had a long range tank fitted to my ute. Problem is the under tray water tank left inadequate room for the filler pipe to bend neatly where it needed to go.

Tacked up this prototype to see if I can get the bends right. Struggled to hold the pieces together to tack them and then ended up with too much filler and not enough penetration. Kemppi welder - 100 amps - 1.6mm aluminium tube 34mm diameter - 1.6mm filler rod.

Mal

malmac wrote:
Tacked up this prototype to see if I can get the bends right. Struggled to hold the pieces together to tack them and then ended up with too much filler and not enough penetration. Kemppi welder - 100 amps - 1.6mm aluminium tube 34mm diameter - 1.6mm filler rod.

Mal
Still, I think you did well...
Richard
Website
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

LtBadd wrote:
malmac wrote:

Mal
Still, I think you did well...
And for tack welds I mean it held right. That's all it had to do.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:36 am

GreinTime wrote:
Ryan_82 wrote:Not bad BigD. We were going to to get some titanium donated to the school by a local business but we still don't have a 300 amp torch and we were concerned about ventilation. So:

How many amps did you use?
Did you feel sick afterwards breathing it in?
Why would you need a 300a torch? Most people welding titanium are doing sheet metal parts for weight/strength ratio and can be welded at 20-75a.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
The company makes gigantic saddles out of titanium. It's thick. It's a molten reservoir.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

You can fusion tack aluminum if your fit up is mint, but it's not the easiest thing in the world and takes some patience and torch manipulation to get it right.

Also on the subject of pie cuts, Justin @thefabricator has a great video on doing the math to make your cuts so that they end up being a radius that you can replicate out of mandrel bent tubing if you desired.

#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
GreinTime

Ryan_82 wrote:
GreinTime wrote:
Ryan_82 wrote:Not bad BigD. We were going to to get some titanium donated to the school by a local business but we still don't have a 300 amp torch and we were concerned about ventilation. So:

How many amps did you use?
Did you feel sick afterwards breathing it in?
Why would you need a 300a torch? Most people welding titanium are doing sheet metal parts for weight/strength ratio and can be welded at 20-75a.

The company makes gigantic saddles out of titanium. It's thick. It's a molten reservoir.
Oh. That changes the dynamic quite a bit then. You could always cut it into thinner sections on a band saw to make it last longer rather than have one giant chunk.

#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:36 am

Oh. That changes the dynamic quite a bit then. You could always cut it into thinner sections on a band saw to make it last longer rather than have one giant chunk.
The idea was for them to donate the material in order to train students specifically to repair cracks for them. That's about all they use welders for there, but it pays well. It's all thick titanium repair, with 300 amp tig torches. I don't think I'd have much problem with it, but I haven't had the chance to try it yet, hence my initial questions.

I also heard that a few of there welders got real sick because of the material, even though they had respirators.

Ryan_82 wrote: The idea was for them to donate the material in order to train students specifically to repair cracks for them. That's about all they use welders for there, but it pays well. It's all thick titanium repair, with 300 amp tig torches. I don't think I'd have much problem with it, but I haven't had the chance to try it yet, hence my initial questions.

I also heard that a few of there welders got real sick because of the material, even though they had respirators.
I've welded quite a bit of Ti and never had any issues, nor the other welders in the shop.
Richard
Website
GreinTime

LtBadd wrote:
Ryan_82 wrote: The idea was for them to donate the material in order to train students specifically to repair cracks for them. That's about all they use welders for there, but it pays well. It's all thick titanium repair, with 300 amp tig torches. I don't think I'd have much problem with it, but I haven't had the chance to try it yet, hence my initial questions.

I've welded quite a bit of Ti and never had any issues, nor the other welders in the shop.
I guess I've never really seen anything other than 6al4v and CP, so I can't really say anything to what effect the other alloys may have when breathing in.

#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

4" 316L sanitary
Attachments
IMG_20170122_172628455.jpg
IMG_20170122_172628455.jpg (41.87 KiB) Viewed 1796 times
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

rick
did you get to weld that on the bench or at same impossible
angle? nice!
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

motox wrote:rick
did you get to weld that on the bench or at same impossible
angle? nice!
craig
Sitting on my pipe stands, so 5G
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB

Very nice Rick, but coming from you, well I'd say par for the course :lol:
Richard
Website
GreinTime

@rick_h I think he's calling you ugly

#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
mpete53
    Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:33 am

first time back purge

Finally got set up to do back purging. The results amazed me. Even though it looks like I need more flow on the purging the sugaring disappeared. The joint welded easer, flowed better and much cooler. I have a hard time getting any color but grey on my stainless welds so the color on this weld is great for me. I think since it flowed better I used less amperage but, using the peddle I can't really tell.
1 7/8 stainless tube with .045 wall
# 6 gas lens
.040 2% lanthanated
2 sfh torch
5cfh back purge
60 amp max with peddle
Attachments
IMG_1745 adj.jpg
IMG_1745 adj.jpg (34.06 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
IMG_1744 adj.jpg
IMG_1744 adj.jpg (39.91 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
mpete53

Correction on fist time back purge

torch had 20 cfh

I better proof read more

Mark
exnailpounder

That's good color! If you have pulse try it, it really makes a difference but takes a little getting used to. The faster you pulse the easier it is to get used to...at least thats been my experience. If you want to try something weird...try welding at 10 pps and see if you like it :lol:
mpete53

Just started tig last year with an entry level DC machine Everlast 160 STH. Nothing fancy Post flow, Lift and HF start. I have added a peddle and a CK torch.

Mark
exnailpounder

mpete53 wrote:Just started tig last year with an entry level DC machine Everlast 160 STH. Nothing fancy Post flow, Lift and HF start. I have added a peddle and a CK torch.

Mark
Gotcha.

mpete53 wrote:Correction on fist time back purge

torch had 20 cfh

I better proof read more

Mark
Mark
Can you explain how you setup the purge? What did you use for a damn, etc...
Richard
Website
mpete53

second flow meter off regulator with pipe fittings
second flow meter from Ebay
silicon vacuum hose from Ebay
bronze pneumatic mufflers off ebay
blue painters tape and a good fit up on the joint to seal tube ends and around purge hose with a slit in uppermost taped end. The hose was just stuck into the longer tube and taped closed. The argon hose has the bronze muffler on it to smooth the argon flow. Note there is a drilled hole in the longer tube that lets the argon flow out of it and fill the shorter tube where it vents out the slit in the tape on top

I thought that the tape would get to hot but that's what I had so I decided to give it a try. To my surprise the whole pipe stayed much cooler then when I hadn't purged and the tape held fine. No scorching, just the glue seemed to be less sticky when I took it off

Mark