Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
mpete53
    Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:33 am

Does cast 304 stainless steel weld like 304 plate or tube? Can I plan on easily welding cast 304 stainless steel elbows to the top of 316 stainless tank for my fuel inlet and outlet?

"reason for question"
I am l panning to make a 1 gallon diesel "Day" Tank" for my boat to remove air that might be sucked in if the main tank is low on fuel and the boat is rolling. I use the term Day Tank since that term is commonly used in the marine industry where fuel from a main tank is filtered and put into a smaller tank which the engine draws its fuel from. While small, this tank would be constantly refilled with filtered fuel by a pump and would keep me running for a while since I only burn 1/2 gallon per hour.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

mpete53 wrote:Does cast 304 stainless steel weld like 304 plate or tube? Can I plan on easily welding cast 304 stainless steel elbows to the top of 316 stainless tank for my fuel inlet and outlet?

"reason for question"
I am l panning to make a 1 gallon diesel "Day" Tank" for my boat to remove air that might be sucked in if the main tank is low on fuel and the boat is rolling. I use the term Day Tank since that term is commonly used in the marine industry where fuel from a main tank is filtered and put into a smaller tank which the engine draws its fuel from. While small, this tank would be constantly refilled with filtered fuel by a pump and would keep me running for a while since I only burn 1/2 gallon per hour.
I weld cast stainless fittings and they weld very nice like almost all SS does. At least that's been my experience.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
mpete53
    Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:33 am

Thanks for the input. Being able to weld them to the yank will enable me to keep things tighter to the and and space is very tight.

Mark