Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Gunner
    Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:23 am

Hello,
This is my first post, I never did a proper introduction , I’m a little awkward that way..lol
I served in the US Navy 1986-1990 (Aviation, I worked on A-6 intruders) after that I got into the construction field (asphalt Paving) and have been doing that for the past 28 years. I’m no welder by any means, but I have been welding since I was 16, mostly stick welding with an old buzz box, and now with a Lincoln 256 mig .And a little bit with a Lincoln square wave 200
I have 110 acre farm, so there is always something to weld.
I was hoping I could ask a question and get some advice making a decision on purchasing a new Tig welder.
Just like a lot of people, I would love to buy a Miller Dynasty, but can’t justify spending that much money for what I do.
So I’m really leaning towards an Everlast 255ext or the 325ext?
I plan on welding mild steel and aluminum 1/16”-1/4”
I have an aluminum jet boat with, 190” bottom and .125” sides that constantly needs repaired.
So I was hoping someone could lead me in the right direction?
Thanks for any advice, John
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

You don't need a machine that big to weld what you're describing. An Everlast 210EXT would do everything you listed. You could get the lincoln SW 200 for less money but it doesn't have as many advanced features. Not sure if you live near a large metro area, but there's lots of used machines for sale around here, especially some of the chinese brands like AHP. If I had it to do over, I'd wait and buy used from a private party off craigslist. I just saw an AHP with cart, bottle and an extra torch for $600. If I didn't already own a welder I'd have bought it. The other advantage of buying used is if you decide it's not what you want, you can probably get most of your money back when you sell it. If you buy new there's usually a pretty big drop in price when you try to sell.

Since you have a farm, I'd definitely think about getting something that's dual voltage. If I have to use mine in the barn, I only have 110, and if I need to weld out in the field I can take a generator, but it doesn't have a 50A 220 outlet on it so I'm stuck using 110 there too.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
nelson
    Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:21 pm

I have the welder listed in my tag line. 5 - 40 cf AR so far. My welds are almost presentable already. No issues with the Everlast yet. I haven't tried stick or plasma yet though. I would buy it again.
Stone knives and bearskins.....and a NEW EVERLAST 164SI !!!
That's my newly shared work welder.
At home I got a Power Tig 185 DV. Nice, but no plasma cutting... Nice tight arc after a second.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Speaking specifically to repairing your Jon boat, TIG welding it may prove VERY tricky. While TIG offers the greatest control over heat, it also requires that the aluminum be VERY, VERY clean. Jon boats that have seen use, especially if used in brackish water, are filthy. And I mean filthy. MIG welding them may prove much easier. You could investigate whether either of your current boxes support a spool gun attachment and use Argon to MIG the aluminum. If so, use 5356 aluminum wire, not 4043. The 4043 is more prone to cracking than the 5xxx wire. 4043 will work, you just have to use care. A preheat with a propane torch is also helpful.

Another option is to purchase a multiprocess box that has both Stick, MIG and DC TIG. You won't have AC TIG, but for the less frequent occasions, you can always MIG the aluminum. Plus these smaller multiprocess boxes are very portable and run off either or 120/240v making them pretty handy on a farm. I have a Miller Multimatic that I use almost exactly for this and Dynasty for TIG work.
Gunner
    Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:23 am

Thank you, i appreciate the advice and the info.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Gunner wrote:Hello,
This is my first post, I never did a proper introduction , I’m a little awkward that way..lol
I served in the US Navy 1986-1990 (Aviation, I worked on A-6 intruders) after that I got into the construction field (asphalt Paving) and have been doing that for the past 28 years. I’m no welder by any means, but I have been welding since I was 16, mostly stick welding with an old buzz box, and now with a Lincoln 256 mig .And a little bit with a Lincoln square wave 200
I have 110 acre farm, so there is always something to weld.
I was hoping I could ask a question and get some advice making a decision on purchasing a new Tig welder.
Just like a lot of people, I would love to buy a Miller Dynasty, but can’t justify spending that much money for what I do.
So I’m really leaning towards an Everlast 255ext or the 325ext?
I plan on welding mild steel and aluminum 1/16”-1/4”
I have an aluminum jet boat with, 190” bottom and .125” sides that constantly needs repaired.
So I was hoping someone could lead me in the right direction?
Thanks for any advice, John
I have a Miller Syncrowave 210 that does a great job. Way cheaper. Bells and whistles are great on a machine when you reach the proficiency levels that allow you to use them and take your skills to a higher level but there is alot to be said for a straight up quality, no frills machine. And thank you for your service!
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

I'll just chime in with my 2 cents and say that if your budget will stretch to it, go for plenty of amps.

Welding aluminium you will almost certainly eventually find yourself looking for lots of amps. I have an inverter machine similar to the Everlast and mine is 220 amps max. I love the portability and the features like advanced waveforms, AC frequency, pulse, all that. I wouldn't change a thing except to say that now and then some extra grunt would be handy.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

To paraphrase Jody,

"My machine is too powerful," said no welder, ever.
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

I purchased a Everlast 160 STH as my first TIG set up, still have a year later and works fine, but no AC TIG option. I then purchased a Lincoln Square wave 200 and am in process of learning to TIG weld aluminum. Very very pleased with this welder. Is sold as a hobby welder and about $1400 it seems steep, 3x what I paid for the Everlast. But it is so easy to set up and work with I suggest it.