Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
gcelaya
    Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:37 pm

I am welding a four link bracket to a rear end. Many state that you should burn in a 1st pass followed up by an additional pass. What kind of techniques are used for this (machine settings etc.) Any more info would be great. I have a Dynasty 200, if that makes any difference with settings.

Thanks for the advice.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

If you're well experienced in TIG, one pass should do.

I think most of the two-pass recommendations are based on less experienced welders who tend not to tie in at the root when welding a wider bead (focused on the edges). For a four-link, your brackets are likely no thicker than 3/16", which (in theory) only requires a 3/32" bead. If you're TIGing them, you're already ahead of the MIG downhill guys.

If I want 100% confidence in root tie-in on a fillet or lap weld, I'll use lengths of .035 MIG wire as filler rod, with a 1/16" tungsten sharpened for tattooing ;) . (Actually, I'll do this on small-bore heavy wall pipe roots, too.)

There's no harm in the two-pass method, and it may help you be more confident in the finished product.

Steve