Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Bradshaw106
    Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:01 pm

I'm looking at purchasing my first tig machine. I have been using the machine at work which is a Lincoln 275 square wave
Do light aluminum welding with it. I'm still very much a beginner but I'm getting better. One of the things I wanted when getting my own machine is a pulse feature (shop machine does not have it) I have read it helps a lot with welding aluminum
How good is it? Once you use it you will never go back type thing?...
The reason I ask is I have a opportunity to buy a syncrowave 250 for 800$ it was used as a stick machine so has no accesories, but I figure even after buying torch and cooler ect I would still have a nice machine for not bad of price. But it has no pulse..... Any thoughts?
dwisehart
    Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:40 pm

I was wondering the same thing. I am looking for a TIG welder for homebuilt airplane work and seriously consider the Square TIG 175. But I called the rep and he recommended the Precision TIG 225 because it has TIG pulse, though he acknowledges that a lot of people just pulse with the foot pedal.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Daniel
nova_70_383
    Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:51 pm

some people may disagree with me, but i say, if your a beginner, leave the pulse off. until you master the basics it just complicates things with more settings. just my thoughts.
Bradshaw106

dwisehart wrote:I was wondering the same thing. I am looking for a TIG welder for homebuilt airplane work and seriously consider the Square TIG 175. But I called the rep and he recommended the Precision TIG 225 because it has TIG pulse, though he acknowledges that a lot of people just pulse with the foot pedal.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Daniel
I was originally going to get a precision 225 machine. I was told I would love the pulse feature. I guess my question is not wether I should use pulse as a beginner but wether I should strive to get a machine with it? If I invested in the syncrowave would I just want a pulse feature after a year or so?
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

hi there,

its always a good idea to invest in a machine that you can "grow" into. If you can afford it you might as well.

After all, you can use what you dont have. As the others say, leave it off for a while. then once you get better at it, start playing with the pulse. Any way. of you dont use it the pulse feature will make the machine easier to sell.

Mick.
Bradshaw106

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to hold out for a precision 225 Lincoln. A Lincoln is what I learned on so I'm a little brand loyal now
StephanusThie
    Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:55 am

Hi frequency pulsing can stiffen the arc. They said that, but still have no chance to prove it since my welder only has low freq pulse (0,25-10Hz). Really wanna have a inverter machine that could pulsing hi frequency.
Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
Hypertherm Powermax65
CoreyMac
    Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:36 pm

I've been hanging around this forum for a while and thought I would try to give some insight here. I have been a journeyman welder for 20 yrs and when I first learned tig there was no pulse tig. I have an old miller transformer 250 amp tig at the shop but decided to get myself a welder for the house. I went with the Lincoln precision 225 with the pulse feature. I will confess I hadn't used pulse at all up to that point but I consider myself to be a fairly profficient tig welder, I found the pulse to be somewhat difficult to get good results with off the bat because you seem to have to time your rod with the pulse to get nice even fillets (in aluminum at least). This is not to say that pulse is a bad thing, I have found that its very helpful in keeping thinner materials cooler when welding them. I guess what I'm saying is the pulse is a handly feature but its something IMO that even an exprienced welder (if you haven't ever used it) has to learn to use. I would get the Lincoln precision 225 its a beautiful machine.

Thats my 2 cents
Bradshaw106

Well.... I pulled the trigger. I had been searching the wanted adds for months and all I could find were very old tig machines and I didn't have the room or power... So I bought a dynasty200dx it's a far cry from the precision tig but hey.... It's only money
RedIron881
    Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:29 am

Well Bradshaw106, I'm jealous! Ha ha!!

Some of the guys on here may disagree with me when it comes to pulsing... I've been welding for 15 years and up until the last year I never used it. Before the past 5 years I had done nothing but aluminum and never used pulse. What I use pulse for now is when I'm fusing stainless and want a nice even ripple look (2 pulses pre second). Granted, it does have it's uses like in Jody's video about welding close to an edge or automated. But each to their own. Give a shot and see what you think. Hope you enjoy that 200DX!
pro mod steve
    Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:47 am

I got out of welding school 2 years ago and bought a 200 dx for the pulse feature I do mainly light fabrication anytrhing from.030 to 1/4". After 2 years of real world I still haven't used the pulse feature yet. I could be dead wrong but I believe lack of pulse has taught me better heat control especially on the real thin stuff.
rsears
    Wed May 02, 2012 4:59 pm

pro mod steve wrote:I got out of welding school 2 years ago and bought a 200 dx for the pulse feature I do mainly light fabrication anytrhing from.030 to 1/4". After 2 years of real world I still haven't used the pulse feature yet. I could be dead wrong but I believe lack of pulse has taught me better heat control especially on the real thin stuff.
Some very good points here. I was thinking the same thing regarding the lack of using pulse in the back of my head and training yourself technique. Although I'm not an experienced Tig welder by any means (very, very little time) behind a friends Synchrowave 200, in looking to purchase a TIG for myself your post says a lot!

;)
ajlskater1
    Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 am

pulse is not necessary but for certain things it is really nice to have. If you are just buying a machine to practice in your garage on, I wouldn't go with the pulse cause you will learn to have more control without it. At the shop I work at we run the dynasty 350 and 700 and we hardly ever use the pulse feature. The only thing I really like using it for is when we you are trying to hold a sharp edage on a part, this can definetely by done maunually just by watchiung your heat and feathering the pedal, but the pusle lets you do the job faster and more consistently. And the only other time I use it is some of the parts we do are fused welded but they want the look like rod was added, so again it can be done by just pumping the pedal but doing that for a hour shift get really tiring.
gcelaya
    Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:37 pm

Pulse in not necessary but it sure is NICE! I say if u can afford it, get it. You will not use it all the time but when you need it, it can come in handy.
Wobulate
    Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:30 am

I learned to TIG weld in 1974 on a Heli-Arc welder, no pulse, no AC balance, no square wave just AC or DC.
Since this thread talked about the Precision TIG 225 I thought I would comment as I am an owner of this welder (2011). The pulse feature is not as robust as any of the Inverter Welders. The range is 0.1 to 20.0 Hz, which is 10 seconds to 50 milliseconds (1/F=Time). As the pulse frequency increases the waveform begins to look like 2 DC levels, EP and EN. Remember the PT-225 is a square wave TIG welder, and pulse modulating a square wave (pulse-on-pulse) produces a complex pulse train with discreet changes from Max Amp setting to 50% of Max Amp DC levels, and increases the molten metal agitation. That said, when you are welding the outside corner of lets say...11 gauge (0.0907) or thinner, the application of pulse can focus the arc so that you do not have to manually pulse the output with the foot pedal. So, an improvement in weld bead appearance, and consistent weld bead penetration without over penetration is the result. With the pulse set between 0.3 and 3 seconds you can dab the filler with the beat of the pulse (Which on the PT-225 you can visually see the pulse enable light so you can get in sync.).

The most important criteria I used prior to buying was "can this welder weld what I need to weld", then cost. For me, knowing that I have other welders to handle welds that require higher current, the low current capability of the PT-225 was ideal. Ok, I did take a long look at the Miller Dynasty 200 DX, but at $3,600 I had to pass on this one. So I purchased a full-up
PT-225 Runner, everything included to weld including a cart for $2,062. 8-)

When I was researching the PT-225 I located a very interesting review, and I think you may enjoy it also, so I am going repeat it here.

WWW.WELDINGWEB.COM
Thread: Lincoln Precision TIG 225 Review
Review By Rottguinness, From weldingweb.com

Lincoln Precision TIG 225 Review
I just bought a PT 225 and I thought I would share my thoughts of the machine for anyone looking at it as well.

For months now I have shopped and drooled over several TIG machines.
I asked many people what they thought and I mostly heard, “You have to buy Red” or “You have to buy Blue”, “NASCAR uses these”, “EAA uses those” and so on! The problem I had was, I didn't really care about all that. I wish I did. It would have made my decision much easier, but I am not really a brand loyal guy. I want value. As a matter of fact, my last truck was a Ford and I now drive a GMC. So truly I am not loyal.

I own a Synchrowave but does that mean thats all I can shop??? Of course not! This is america!
I loved my Synchrowave but lately I needed something larger. I have recently started doing more and more with aluminum projects. I wanted a TIG welder that had enough power to routinely do 1/8” to 1/4” aluminum and not break a sweat. Like most hobbyists, I also am on a budget. Even though I save a ton of money building things myself, I had to set a limit. That meant the Dynasty and Invertec were out! So was the Synchrowave 250 and the Precision TIG 275.

I finally settled on the Precision TIG 225! I purchased it from Harris Welding Supply in Monroe Oh. They were the cheapest on the web by several hundred dollars and offered free shipping. I emailed the store on a Saturday even though they were closed I got a response within a few hours. Tod, “The owner” offered a further discount if I picked it up. When I called a few days later, he answered all my questions about all the machines I was comparing. When I got there, Tod had shirts waiting for my son and I and assisted me with a problem I was having with my plasma cutter. Its a brand they didn't sell but he still worked with me, solved my problem and threw in a free inline filter for my plasma. WOW!!! That kind of service is hard to find! Well worth the long drive. Thanks Tod, we will be back!!!

I got the PT home and I was pleasantly surprised. All of the components were high quality and went together with ease. In 10 minutes I was ready to weld. The torch even comes with a collet, tungsten and cup. I opted to stay with my favorite gas lens but a nice touch. The cart is a show stopper. Very sturdy and only an inch off the ground so no lifting of the bottle. I liked this especially because I run a very large argon bottle. I attached the pre-connected safety chain, connected the regulator, pedal and torch and I was off and welding.

My first weld was on .100 aluminum. I had scrap left over from a project that I just completed with my Synchrowave 180. I made a console for my boat using 3/32, 2% lanthanated tungsten and 20 CFH argon and 125A .
I used the same settings for my new PT and to my surprise I burned right through the metal. I found that this machine consistently welds much hotter and with only 80A. I looked at the set up guide and it confirmed what I just found out. The PT welds hotter. I repeated the same weld using the pulser, and what an effortless weld.

While trying a corner, lap and butt, I noticed it did an equally good job. I saw my tungsten starting to blue a little and bumped up my post flow from 15 to 17 CFH with the touch of the knob and problem solved. New tungsten stayed grey. This machine holds a really tight arc even down to 10A. I am sure it would hold tight lower if I switched too smaller tungsten.
The next weld I tried I used the pulser. If you haven't used on before they are really cool. It really helps a new TIG welder make the “Stacked dimes” effect with a simple lay wire technique. Just match your pulses to your travel speed and you look like a pro. Next tried a fusion weld on .125 steel at 20 Pulses Per Second. It made perfect little ripples crowning the edge just right. A quick buff with the flap disk and HOLA, a perfect corner.

I moved to stainless. I was very pleased with the control I was able to maintain. With in the first inch of my first weld, I was able to get great penetration and keep the edge darkening to a minimum. Routinely I was only getting color changes out to 1/4 inch off the bead. Pretty good for 1/8 inch stainless.

So far I am very happy with my purchase. I think it is of good quality and very easy to use. All of the controls are well placed. The components are well made and appear to be able to withstand years of use. The storage drawer is ok. If it were a few inches taller it would be great. It is plenty big enough to store the pedal and a few other items. I keep all of my extra TIG supplies in a small toolbox and I was bummed it didn't fit in the drawer. The cart is terrific and I cant say enough about it. The post flow control is great. You can adjust it very quickly with the turn of a knob. No change of menus or screens. When I researched this machine, I read a lot of welders worried about the duty cycle. I have to admit, I was a little concerned too. What I found was that the PT 225 welds hotter. Consistently 20-30 amps hotter than my Synchrowave. This means that the duty cycle scale is a little misleading. Compound this with 230 amps available, I think there is plenty of power for anything I am going to build for a long time. The “A/C Auto Balance” it probably the best welding option the PT has. Even being the control freak that I am, somethings are really better left to the technology inside. It produces the nicest welds with no extra frost. The pulser I could take or leave. A nice option for beginners who never learned to “Pulse the Pedal”. For everyone else its like having an electric can opener. Some say its the greatest, others say it takes longer than doing it manually. Either way it is cool. I prefer to use the pedal but I see that attraction. I also use a manual can opener soooo you be the judge. The top of the machine has a small storage spot thats about 7.25 x 4 x 3. The special part of this is that it has 2 cup holders on top. The cup holders are a nice touch. I gave the cup holders a real work out. I tried them with dark roasted coffee in the morning and beer in the afternoon. I especially like the way they worked with a few Saranac IPAs in the heat of the day.

I hope this review helps someone who is looking to make the same move I did. It is free of any brand bias ( Except for the beer ). I looked at a few of the imported inverters but they appeared cheaply made too me. Although I didn't weld with them, my first impression led me back to the home grown machines. I think that both Lincoln and Miller make great equipment as I own both. I think that it really comes down to personal preference and maybe even a little ergonomics of controls. If you are looking to buy a mid sized TIG machine and cant afford an inverter, I highly recommend the Lincoln Precision TIG 225. It has a ton of power and features that lets me enjoy welding even more than I did before.
RG
This welder has another great feature which Lincoln calls Micro-Start II, for starting the arc at very low amps. They actually designed-in a low current power supply in addition to the main power supply. Upon studying the Duty Cycle capability, just thinking about the top end of the current range, I was hoping for a little more from this welder, but that was not the most important part of my purchase decision. And then I ran into a Duty Cycle test of this welder by Lincoln, I think this is an important point so here are the results (These tests can be observed on YouTube.).

Tests performed by Lincoln Electric
Lincoln Electric Precision Tig 225 20% duty cycle test -1
The welder was setup as follows:
Load: 0.161 Ohms
Voltage: 29.6 V
Current: 183.8 Amps
Power: 5,440 Watts
Time before welder thermal shutdown: 4 min., 40% duty cycle
Based on a 10 minute time frame.
Shutdown at 2 min. would be a 20% duty cycle.

Lincoln Electric Presision Tig 225 20% duty cycle test -2
The welder was setup as follows:
Load: 0.143 Ohms
Voltage: 26.3 V
Current: 183.9 Amps
Power: 4,836 Watts
Time before welder thermal shutdown: 3 min. 42 sec., 37% duty cycle
Based on a 10 minute time frame.
Shutdown at 2 min. would be a 20% duty cycle.

As you can see Lincoln has underrated the PT-225, I am not sure why, possibly they had to maintain a performance gap between the PT-225 and the V-205-T inverter welder. The PT-225 has a publicized welding range of 5 - 230 Amps, it will weld 0.25" plate, with Argon shielding gas you may have to preheat or 75% Argon 25% Helium without preheat. To end this long post I guess I would have to ask myself, would I buy the PT-225 again, yes absolutely because it will weld what I want to weld and I am not overpaying for something I may never need.
Wobulate 8-)
WOB
Lincoln,Precision TIG225
Miller,Millermatic 251
Miller,Spoolmatic 30A
Miller,Millermatic 130XP
Miller,Spectrum 625
Miller,Thunderbolt 225AC
KMG,Belt Grinder/2x72
Ingersoll Rand,Compressor/5HP
MSC/Vectrax,Band Saw Horizontal-Vertical/7x12
'Stang
    Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:12 pm

Bradshaw106 wrote:I'm looking at purchasing my first tig machine. I have been using the machine at work which is a Lincoln 275 square wave
Do light aluminum welding with it. I'm still very much a beginner but I'm getting better. One of the things I wanted when getting my own machine is a pulse feature (shop machine does not have it) I have read it helps a lot with welding aluminum
How good is it? Once you use it you will never go back type thing?...
The reason I ask is I have a opportunity to buy a syncrowave 250 for 800$ it was used as a stick machine so has no accesories, but I figure even after buying torch and cooler ect I would still have a nice machine for not bad of price. But it has no pulse..... Any thoughts?

Pulse is not that necessary. I have pulse on my Dynasty. I seldom use it. Mostly just play with the settings to see what I can make the machine do. Pulse can be useful on stainless to lessen the heat input. Or, on joints where the fit-up is not as good as it should be! But, you can do the same thing with a foot pedal-or finger tip control! If you buy the Sync and later decide you want pulse-you can probably take it to your LWS and have them upgrade it for pulse.