Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Feeding rod is an important thing to learn. Even when building up or fixing cracks on case repairs, made from aluminium and magnesium, where it's in small area I have to feed rod. It's not a long run, but small local area. Also different joint configurations on tubing have you have to push rod in puddle sometimes so you need to feed rod. Feeding rod is important thing to practice and learn.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Chips O'Toole wrote:I started practicing, with both hands, as instructed. If it's an unnecessary skill, it won't be the first one I've picked up.
Feeding rod is a great skill to have and very necessary so if you can pick it up it's going to benefit you in the long run. Just as important is your torch hand. You have to learn how to keep it in a good position to do long runs. It helps to have a prop stand to slide your hand on or you have to do whatever you need to do, such as clamping a piece of angle onto your work and things like that to be able to stay in position. There is no shame in stopping and re-starting either. Our main goal is usually that beautiful stacked dimes look, and that is essential in alot of areas but just as important is a correct weld. Sometimes you can't make them all pretty. I look at welds on every day things and alot of them look like drunk monkeys did them so sometimes just hot gluing parts together is good enough for some applications. Look at the pictures Lt Badd posted of the welds on one of the space shuttle engines. Not impressive but obviously passed all the tests.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

exnailpounder wrote: Look at the pictures Lt Badd posted of the welds on one of the space shuttle engines. Not impressive but obviously passed all the tests.
Just to be clear for those who might be new or missed that thread, those weren't welds I made, although I'd be proud of them, but pics I took while at Kennedy Space center, Steve (Otto) also posted the same pics.
Richard
Website