Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

A coworker brought me this boat handrail that had a support break off. When I got it it already had a hold piece and a backer already riveted on.

I make no claims to be a great welder but only having been welding aluminum for only a few weeks (teaching myself from Jody's videos) I think I did OK.

The one weld is built up high and wide only because the the gap I had to fill. The opposite side had a gap but I had an easier time doing. All 3 welds were washed over only because I wanted it to look as good as I could make it.

What ya think ???

rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

Getting an ass chewing on another site about all this. Seems the pinstripe is too close to the weld zone.

I learned something new.

Is it that big a deal ???
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

No, the pinstripe is not an issue. Everything looks clean enough.

I think the reason this doesn't look as slick as your "pencil holder" project (nice, BTW) is probably the alloy. This is a marine-grade alloy, and salt water doesn't like some alloys. A little research into marine alloys might lead you to a better filler rod for the purpose, and a slicker looking finished product.

Still, for as little time and practical experience you have in Al, 'At'll work!'

Keep it up!

Steve S.