Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

I tried welding aluminum once before with no luck. New machine..........better consumables..........and a handful of Jody's videos and here is what I got !!!

This was a few weeks ago.

This was the first.........a pencil holder made from .125 aluminum this is the best weld.

Considering I was lucky with .125 I went to .060 and then .040.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there,

Looks pretty good. Remember for really thin stuff you can use mig wire for filler. Buy a
little spool and snip off the lengths you need.

Mick
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Good tip, Mick.

I do that even for SS pipe-- Knife-edge roots. Great for a root pass on a "gun barrel" to get good penetration without closing the pipe like a doughnut.

rahtreelimbs,

Nice work!

Once you understand what the metal is doing, everything else is just practice.

Steve S.
gexas
    Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:26 pm

Really nice welds there..."stack 'o dimes" all the way. I have been welding the inside of a box about that size and it is a pain to get in the tight corners. I saw one of Jody's videos where he demoed the stubby torch kit and gas lens set up. WOW,WOW,WOW what a difference the combo. made. Better puddles, you can get the stinger way out there for the tight corners AND you get more room for the torch to hit the right angles. I have found it extrememly difficult to tig weld uphill on a corner. The weld wants to run downhill and blob up. very tough to make a stack of dimes look IMHO.

If you do the inside corners and seams of the box i'd love to see pictures of them.

E