Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
BigD
    Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:56 pm

Nothing exciting but I went to the garage to get something and couldn't resist doing a practice nemesis weld. Normally I have to warm up running beads or I screw up. Did this one cold and it's one of my best yet! Still overheated on me at the end but instead of flaring out like I usually get I backed off, fed more rod and it stayed pretty consistent. I think torch angle is still my enemy. I'm MUCH better but towards the end of a fillet, I have a tendency to go into a bit of a push.

Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:38 pm

Nice stuff Skyline and BigD ! Out here in the garage getting ready to tack up an aluminum box i'm making ...my welding clamps don't grab under my harbor freight welding table due to its design . Decided to mod my clamp. Cut off a short piece of 0.055" square tubing ...cut a little piece of flat stock to cap it ...then clad the top with silicon bronze .
Got a little sidetracked !
-------------------------------------
1 weldingClamp.jpg
1 weldingClamp.jpg (54.23 KiB) Viewed 1635 times
---------------------
2 WeldingClamp.jpg
2 WeldingClamp.jpg (56.82 KiB) Viewed 1635 times
---------------
3 WeldingClamp.jpg
3 WeldingClamp.jpg (53.16 KiB) Viewed 1635 times
------------------------
The intended project, before getting side tracked .....
Ern FuelTank Alum.jpg
Ern FuelTank Alum.jpg (56.71 KiB) Viewed 1635 times

subwayrocket wrote:Nice stuff Skyline and BigD ! Out here in the garage getting ready to tack up an aluminum box i'm making ...my welding clamps don't grab under my harbor freight welding table due to its design . Decided to mod my clamp. Cut off a short piece of 0.055" square tubing ...cut a little piece of flat stock to cap it ...then clad the top with silicon bronze .
Got a little sidetracked !

The intended project, before getting side tracked .....
Ern FuelTank Alum.jpg
.055" square tube! Maybe you mean 1/2" ? What is that receiver in the background, a Marantz?
Richard
Website
    Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:38 pm

It's 1" square tubing , digital guage says 0.055" thick , it's all I had , the flat stock I capped it with is 0.125" .
I've had this stereo since around 1978 ...won it in a bet against my uncle. Me, my grandfather and uncle used to go target shooting in upstate NY at the cabin . I previously won a bet shooting a quarter . They were teasing me about shooting a dime ...I said "I bet you that stereo I can shoot the dime" . I hit that dime at about 40 ft out ....he was pissed ...tried to re neg but my aunt raised hell and I got the stereo. It's a 1976 Fisher Studio standard. It cranks . Got a pair of old Bose 901's out here in the garage too. I wish I had a Marantz !
--------------------------------------------------------
Fisher.jpg
Fisher.jpg (42.29 KiB) Viewed 1617 times

subwayrocket wrote:It's 1" square tubing , digital guage says 0.055" thick , it's all I had , the flat stock I capped it with is 0.125" .
I've had this stereo since around 1978 ...won it in a bet against my uncle. Me, my grandfather and uncle used to go target shooting in upstate NY at the cabin . I previously won a bet shooting a quarter . They were teasing me about shooting a dime ...I said "I bet you that stereo I can shoot the dime" . I hit that dime at about 40 ft out ....he was pissed ...tried to re neg but my aunt raised hell and I got the stereo. It's a 1976 Fisher Studio standard. It cranks . Got a pair of old Bose 901's out here in the garage too. I wish I had a Marantz !
--------------------------------------------------------
Fisher.jpg
901's rock, nice setup
Richard
Website
WJH
  • WJH
    Fri May 29, 2015 8:27 pm

Sorry, no pics.. Welded up a busted rusted John Deere mower deck. The welder went a decent way for paying for itself.
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

WJH wrote:Sorry, no pics.. Welded up a busted rusted John Deere mower deck. The welder went a decent way for paying for itself.
John Deere eh
I think they make them cracked :lol:
I bought mine second hand and yep in the last 2 years I've had the deck out of it twice, which is more often than I've changed the oil.
I will give JD one thing everything is available as a spare, even if a new stamped deck is $1000.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
Hollywood1
    Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:05 am

getting better at tubing fit ups.
Attachments
20160118_142642.jpg
20160118_142642.jpg (31.24 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
20160110_133847.jpg
20160110_133847.jpg (23.52 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
20160118_142711.jpg
20160118_142711.jpg (24.29 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
    Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:20 pm

Hollywood1 wrote:getting better at tubing fit ups.

Looks real good!
Brian

Miller Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC
Everlast 255EXT with W300 cooler
Hobo Freight 170 MIG Welder
Hollywood1

Thanks.
WJH
  • WJH
    Fri May 29, 2015 8:27 pm

ex framie wrote:
WJH wrote:Sorry, no pics.. Welded up a busted rusted John Deere mower deck. The welder went a decent way for paying for itself.
John Deere eh
I bought mine second hand and yep in the last 2 years I've had the deck out of it twice, which is more often than I've changed the oil.
I will give JD one thing everything is available as a spare, even if a new stamped deck is $1000.
I added a few more cracks when I beat the deck back into submission with a sledgehammer. Previous owner apparently hit something at full speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WJH wrote:
ex framie wrote:
John Deere eh
I added a few more cracks when I beat the deck back into submission with a sledgehammer. Previous owner apparently hit something at full speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is there something wrong with my hearing or did you just repeat yourself...? :lol:
Richard
Website
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Don't ever let some psychiatrist tell you to work on your "coping skills".... :lol:

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:
Don't ever let some psychiatrist tell you to work on your "coping skills".... :lol:

Steve S
Ah come on Steve can't we all just get along?!
Richard
Website
Hollywood1

Thanks Steve.
    Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:32 am

Some old job, steps, platform and railing on SS corn hopper in popcorn factory. 2" schedule pipe bent, some 2" boxes and 1/8' checker plate. Cut, bent and tig'd together.
Hopper
Hopper
IMG_2838.jpg (75.45 KiB) Viewed 1676 times
Hopper
Hopper
IMG_2839.jpg (83.42 KiB) Viewed 1676 times
Below conveyor for popcorn as well, had to fabricate 5 of them as health and safety inspection did not like the rust on the old ones. Pretty nice job, a bit tricky to weld cross brackets holding the sides as easy to distort the 1/8" side plate.
Conveyor
Conveyor
IMG_2633.jpg (50.55 KiB) Viewed 1676 times
:)
Slawkos
AFR_Autoworks
    Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:35 am

Working on my first turbo manifold.Every time I pick up my welder I find myself getting better!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (62.65 KiB) Viewed 1650 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (38.77 KiB) Viewed 1650 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (91.85 KiB) Viewed 1650 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (51.3 KiB) Viewed 1650 times
Tokoroa_Welder
    Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:13 am

Very nice.
Hollywood1

Nice!
ESENTI
    Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:36 am

Dear AFR do you use pulses and how much , what are your settings please definitely it is a nice professional work ...
Hollywood1

Welding roll cage.
Attachments
20160122_123153.jpg
20160122_123153.jpg (34.72 KiB) Viewed 1539 times
    Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:39 pm

AFR_Autoworks wrote:Working on my first turbo manifold.
Are the runners of the turbo manifold being kept equal length?
AFR_Autoworks

Yes, the runners at equal length and also equal degree of bends. I did change one runner from the way it is in the picture. Also, no pulse. Sch10 304ss welder set at 100amps but pedalling out. I get a puddle started, dab at it quickly just on leading edge of the puddle until it fills up just flush with the material. One you get the weld height continue to dab quickly and start moving. I really am fond of this technique for welding this stuff. It is easy to stay consistent.
Last edited by AFR_Autoworks on Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Thu May 07, 2015 11:46 am

Hollywood, I like the way that looks. I think you are getting good penetration and enough filler to make it strong. Much better than what I have seen on a lot of other cars.
Freddie
AFR_Autoworks

Finished product
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (54.26 KiB) Viewed 1468 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (78.33 KiB) Viewed 1468 times