Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

20161229_133631.jpg
20161229_133631.jpg (84.77 KiB) Viewed 574 times
This is my "brush up" pad. I don't get to play with aluminum too often so I play around on the back of this diamond plate trying different tungsten grinds, different tungstens, different settings on the machine. When you pay for the bells and whistles, you might as well at least try them. I still can't get rid of the sandy finish of that 4043 rod no matter what I do. Going to get some 4943 and see if it goes away.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

jeff
get some new 4043 maybe you have a bad batch.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
exnailpounder

motox wrote:jeff
craig
I believe I do. I have tried balancing it out, speeding up my travel, using less heat, you name it. From what I hear that 4943 is better but my LWS doesn't have it. Maybe time to roadtrip to HTP/USAweld
Rcc
  • Rcc
    Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:44 pm

exnailpounder wrote:
motox wrote:jeff
craig
I believe I do. I have tried balancing it out, speeding up my travel, using less heat, you name it. From what I hear that 4943 is better but my LWS doesn't have it. Maybe time to roadtrip to HTP/USAweld
What you have your balence at? I have a dynasty have it 67-68%. Try some more heat
exnailpounder

I have been hovering my balance around 75. It seems like I get less of it when I go up to about 78 on the penetration side. I have tried more heat, less heat...it has to be the rods or the torch nut :lol:

exnailpounder wrote:I have been hovering my balance around 75. It seems like I get less of it when I go up to about 78 on the penetration side. I have tried more heat, less heat...it has to be the rods or the torch nut :lol:
Jeff are you sure of the base material alloy?
Richard
Website
exnailpounder

LtBadd wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:I have been hovering my balance around 75. It seems like I get less of it when I go up to about 78 on the penetration side. I have tried more heat, less heat...it has to be the rods or the torch nut :lol:
Jeff are you sure of the base material alloy?
I get the same thing no matter what alloy I use. I have a couple 6061 small plates that I rip pieces out of and it does the same. I just found some 1/16" 4043 rods on a shelf I forgot I had...gonna try them. Last time I used them was when we were doing beer cans. I 'll see what happens tomorrow.