Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I'm always willing to try a weld but I make it very clear if I'm not sure that It may not work, and that the part may be guaranteed trash if it doesn't take.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Poland308 wrote:I'm always willing to try a weld but I make it very clear if I'm not sure that It may not work, and that the part may be guaranteed trash if it doesn't take.
Good point, sometimes it's scrap if it can't be repaired (welded) so it would be pointless to not try.
Richard
Website
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

It probably comes down to what you have available without spending crazy $$$$$ on a lb of of rod.

Jody did an article on a TIG repair using aluminum bronze with AC.

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/wel ... -iron.html

At one time there was a trapezoidal cast iron rod that looked like it had been poured into an open mold. I tigged the spoked driven wheel on a cheapie concrete mixer back together using it.

These look similar.

https://www.tinmantech.com/products/wel ... pplies.php

http://www.jerekirkpatrick.com/wrench.html
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Poland308 wrote:I'm always willing to try a weld but I make it very clear if I'm not sure that It may not work, and that the part may be guaranteed trash if it doesn't take.
Yeah exactly,before handing it back, if I think there's a chance, I will try to break it again myself and tell them I can't say its good as new but it held me slapping it around with hammers in a vice.
if there's a welder, there's a way
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I like the high nickel rod or silicone bronze idea... Really depends how good of a cast that is once you light the torch up on it. I welded our sheet metal brake clamp handle back together after some let it slam back and it finally broke....been holding over a year now, abused daily..lol I used 309L
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Rick_H wrote:I like the high nickel rod or silicone bronze idea... Really depends how good of a cast that is once you light the torch up on it. I welded our sheet metal brake clamp handle back together after some let it slam back and it finally broke....been holding over a year now, abused daily..lol I used 309L
My boss told me a story of him getting sent out to troubleshoot this wood chopping machine, some kind of shear or snap in the center would occur, they would weld it back together with regular steel rod, wouldn't hold no matter what, so he tried stainless due to it being slightly more flexible, held after that.

That's personally why I use stainless for cast since it gives it a little more flex and I guess my logic is it would be less prone to cracking or breaking off since it will flex a bit.
if there's a welder, there's a way
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

how ever you put it back together, wait to mount it till the machine is in place....lol
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Hey Richard...are you gonna fix that damned thing or leave us hangin? :lol: Send it to me...I'll fix it.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

motox wrote:how ever you put it back together, wait to mount it till the machine is in place....lol
craig
sage advice, thanks. ;)
Richard
Website

exnailpounder wrote:Hey Richard...are you gonna fix that damned thing or leave us hangin? :lol: Send it to me...I'll fix it.
ok ok !! :lol:
Richard
Website
exnailpounder

Hey Richard...send me that frickin thing and I'll fix it. You were hoping that we all forgot about it didn't you? :lol:

(yes) Got it cleaned today, hopefully welded tomorrow :)
Richard
Website
exnailpounder

LtBadd wrote:(yes) Got it cleaned today, hopefully welded tomorrow :)
:lol: UH HUH! The old Jedi mind trick...never heard that one before :lol:

Ok here it is, used some preheat and all seemed to go well, heard a few pings.
20170126_050808a.jpg
20170126_050808a.jpg (52.59 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
20170126_052451a.jpg
20170126_052451a.jpg (67.15 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
Richard
Website
exnailpounder

What did u use? Looks like SilBr. Nice work!

exnailpounder wrote:What did u use? Looks like SilBr. Nice work!
Yes per yours and others recommendation, thanks :)

I went to my LWS and asked (to buy) for a few sticks, and they gave them to me, 3 lengths of 3/32" :P
Richard
Website
exnailpounder

Dang...5 thread pages you tease! :lol: Jody got you on speed-dial?
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Just a followup on where I said I used Super Missileweld to fix the Harbor Freight 12" sander. I was down in the shop with my camera today and took a pic. I am pretty sure I welded both sides but this is the top:
Dscf2896r.jpg
Dscf2896r.jpg (49.37 KiB) Viewed 998 times
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

electrode wrote:Just a followup on where I said I used Super Missileweld to fix the Harbor Freight 12" sander. I was down in the shop with my camera today and took a pic. I am pretty sure I welded both sides but this is the top:
Dscf2896r.jpg
You can use 312 stainless next time and not pay for the name!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

GreinTime wrote:
electrode wrote:Just a followup on where I said I used Super Missileweld to fix the Harbor Freight 12" sander. I was down in the shop with my camera today and took a pic. I am pretty sure I welded both sides but this is the top:
Dscf2896r.jpg
You can use 312 stainless next time and not pay for the name!

That is what I heard but never fully believed it as it didn't seem legal to pull such a stunt and get away with it. And the plot thickens and I may be right after all. See this thread for some more info...

http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... =5&t=10978
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

I read it right after I posted this!

#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-

electrode wrote: That is what I heard but never fully believed it as it didn't seem legal to pull such a stunt and get away with it. And the plot thickens and I may be right after all. See this thread for some more info...

http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... =5&t=10978
Well the chemical compositions for wire are not always exact and can be within a specified range, ex. 7-12%. So a company can have a filler with a trade name for any given alloy, and many do. This has been my understanding, and open to correction.
Richard
Website