Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

BillE.Dee wrote:Who the hell changes the environment when I'm not looking anyway ???
Ah, the old Shop Gremlins curse I see... this explains many of your issues :D

One thing you may be overlooking, is that once you get your weld going, the material is becoming heat soaked and easier to weld the next bead. If you take a substantial break, the material has cooled, and you need to “start again” to get the material up to temperature. Of course, not allowing the material to cool while welding is also a curse, because it becomes too hot and the weld will crawl away from you.

It’s all just learning curves...
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

cj737 wrote:
BillE.Dee wrote:Who the hell changes the environment when I'm not looking anyway ???
Ah, the old Shop Gremlins curse I see... this explains many of your issues :D

One thing you may be overlooking, is that once you get your weld going, the material is becoming heat soaked and easier to weld the next bead. If you take a substantial break, the material has cooled, and you need to “start again” to get the material up to temperature. Of course, not allowing the material to cool while welding is also a curse, because it becomes too hot and the weld will crawl away from you.

It’s all just learning curves...
There is a defiant relation between heat and weld ability. It’s measurable but only if you use temp sticks.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

I have learned that I have to stop being timid and get the pedal to the metal...backing off when I see the puddle and keep feathering the throttle. I definitely was using too much electricity. I have to find a tungsten that I can work with and stay with it. Also, I need to lock the barn door while working, the yard munchkins are making me drink beer :shock: . Also need to find my best girl a job so she stays away.... :roll: ... I'll get this thing, one way or the other. Do appreciate the help from y'all.