Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Keep the cool pics coming! Glad to see you were able to find the settings that worked. ;)
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

TraditionalToolworks wrote:If that is 1/8" you might try leaving the amps the same and using a large size filler. Inside corner takes some heat, but you need to use a fair amount of filler so it's doesn't keyhole on 'ya. If it is 1/8" material you should have the pedal floored on the inside corner. (do as I say, not as I do... :D)

Are you using 1/16" filler?

In the beginning it doesn't look too bad, but possibly not enough filler as you didn't get the stacked dime effect.
Sorry, I blew right past this post and didn't even see it earlier. No, that is nowhere near 1/8 inch. As I said in the post above, it's 0.058 material. I used either 16th in filler or I also tried .035 mig wire. I was welding a potato chip just trying to show the example for the op.
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

BugHunter wrote:Sorry, I blew right past this post and didn't even see it earlier. No, that is nowhere near 1/8 inch. As I said in the post above, it's 0.058 material. I used either 16th in filler or I also tried .035 mig wire. I was welding a potato chip just trying to show the example for the op.
If light pedal works for you, stick with it.

Was confused, sorry, but using 125 amps with a light pedal for 1/16" material is probably something I wouldn't personally do. You may be more experienced that me, I find it best for me to use the max amps and a heavy pedal, I can always back it off. But using a light pedal shortens the travel of the pedal greatly which there are no real settings for, it's arbitrary for your foot.

Anyway, never mind me... ;)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

On steel I would agree with you, but on aluminum I like having lots of extra power available in case I want a bunch of momentary heat. Even on something like this 17 gauge. Maybe even especially on the lighter stuff. I've never had good luck sitting still and dwelling on a part while I wait for it to warm up. I can always lift my foot some more. I wish I had a video of the machine so I could tell what it was running. I bet it was higher than you might think.