Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process

JustTheDad wrote:Thank you both.
DE is $6 less than the 3350. DI is $30 more.
Any benefit for a beginner of the DI over the DE? I don't see anyone ever mention the Infinity, just the Elite.

(Sawyer, I'm guessing it's simply not detecting the grinder, so he doesn't need to use grind mode)
I also have the digital infinity, while it does have a larger lens that causes it to be more front heavy. I don't value the larger lens that much, while welding you're viewing a small area. I don't grind with a welding hood on so again the larger lens isn't that valuable to me.
Richard
Website
JustTheDad
    Mon May 18, 2020 11:20 am

So you prefer the DE to the DI?

ESAB A40: 18 oz $90
DE: 18 oz $215
3350: 21 oz $220
DI: 23 oz $250

The only reason I'm actually hesitating on the Esab is we have very bright LED lights over the welding table. I think the mask will darken every time a put it up while wearing it, and worry that may wear down the battery. Otherwise, it seems like a fine second hood.
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

LtBadd wrote:I also have the digital infinity, while it does have a larger lens that causes it to be more front heavy.
Richard,

I would even say the Digital Elite is a bit front heavy, I have to crank down on the helmet position screws pretty hard to keep the helmet up when I flip it up. I was asking Oscar recently if the Crystal was better balanced, but oddly, Oscar replaces the head gear inside the Optrel to the Miller. The Digital Infinity is definitely a heavier helmet from what I can tell at my LWS.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan

JustTheDad wrote:So you prefer the DE to the DI?
I do
Richard
Website
MattA986
    Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:18 am

Miller DE/DI or Lincoln 3350?

TraditionalToolworks wrote: I would even say the Digital Elite is a bit front heavy, I have to crank down on the helmet position screws pretty hard to keep the helmet up when I flip it up. I was asking Oscar recently if the Crystal was better balanced, but oddly, Oscar replaces the head gear inside the Optrel to the Miller. The Digital Infinity is definitely a heavier helmet from what I can tell at my LWS.
Yes I have experienced that too. The biggest problem with all this is there is almost no way to try a hood before you buy unless you know someone who has the hood you're interested in.

I do like the Miller headgear especially the back which is wide. All my welding, well 99%, is at a bench, so again my thoughts on all this are shaped by that as well.

My experience may/probably will be different then yours (I'm talking to anyone) still I like the DE. If I welded for 5+ hours a day I may have a different opinion, but I may not.
Richard
Website

MattA986 wrote:Miller DE/DI or Lincoln 3350?
Putting aside my preference for Millers X mode I would put the DE and 3350 as pretty much equal, then the DI

As for aesthetics, I don't care for the 3350's slick gloss finish (the black model) I do like the finish on the DE (black hood) which is a sort of matte texture.
Richard
Website
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

LtBadd wrote:Yes I have experienced that too. The biggest problem with all this is there is almost no way to try a hood before you buy unless you know someone who has the hood you're interested in.
My primary LWS is nice enough to have all of their hoods hanging on the wall for people to try :D
LtBadd wrote:As for aesthetics, I don't care for the 3350's slick gloss finish (the black model) I do like the finish on the DE (black hood) which is a sort of matte texture.
They just changed the 3350 to a matte black finish on the standard version. Also now has an external grind button and upgraded head gear.
JustTheDad

The new 3350 is matte black, has upgraded headgear and an external grind button. That said, you're sort of talking me into the Esab. It's lighter than the DE, has the same clarity rating, and it's less than half the price. Comes in yellow too. Also has an external shade level dial so I can turn it up or down while watching my son weld.

The reason you talked me into it is that it seems like Miller wins for X mode. Lincoln wins in clarity, but neither seems like enough of an advantage to provide a clear winner.

Besides, Esab has a 100 day satisfaction guarantee. If it's a big step down from the Lincoln, I'll return it and get one of the other two.
Spartan

JustTheDad wrote:The new 3350 is matte black, has upgraded headgear and an external grind button. That said, you're sort of talking me into the Esab. It's lighter than the DE, has the same clarity rating, and it's less than half the price. Comes in yellow too. Also has an external shade level dial so I can turn it up or down while watching my son weld.

The reason you talked me into it is that it seems like Miller wins for X mode. Lincoln wins in clarity, but neither seems like enough of an advantage to provide a clear winner.

Besides, Esab has a 100 day satisfaction guarantee. If it's a big step down from the Lincoln, I'll return it and get one of the other two.
The external dials can be a real nuisance when/if you need to press your head/helmet into tight spaces. The dials hit everything and they can sometimes even change position because of this. Sounds like that may not be a concern for your type of use, but still something to consider since you never know what the future holds.
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Does anyone actually use Grind Mode for grinding? Personally my grind mode is flip up the hood, use the shade 0 safety glasses underneath.

Maybe the newer hoods are better but to me its too dark to properly see what I'm grinding.

I do like grind mode for oxy fuel work. Heating, bending and some cutting.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Spartan

JayWal wrote:Does anyone actually use Grind Mode for grinding?
I don't use it for grinding. Also don't know of anyone who typically uses it for grinding. But seems the marketing departments of these hood manufacturers insist that it be a primary feature these days ;)

JustTheDad wrote: Besides, Esab has a 100 day satisfaction guarantee. If it's a big step down from the Lincoln, I'll return it and get one of the other two.
Let us know how you like it
Richard
Website
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

TraditionalToolworks wrote:
LtBadd wrote:I also have the digital infinity, while it does have a larger lens that causes it to be more front heavy.
Richard,

I would even say the Digital Elite is a bit front heavy, I have to crank down on the helmet position screws pretty hard to keep the helmet up when I flip it up. I was asking Oscar recently if the Crystal was better balanced, but oddly, Oscar replaces the head gear inside the Optrel to the Miller. The Digital Infinity is definitely a heavier helmet from what I can tell at my LWS.
Don't recall any discussion about the balance......in any event, Optrel hoods are VERY nicely balanced. They are ultra light, and keeping them raised in the up-position is no problem what so ever, even with the stock headgear. I use the Miller headgear just as a mild preference
JustTheDad

I can probably do better than that. I'll ask my son's welding instructors compare the two masks to theirs. One has an Esab A50, and the other has a Speedglas (I think). They weld full time, so their opinions about clarity will be more useful than mine. Probably won't happen for 10 days though. I don't think we'll get the second mask before Friday since I ordered it from Baker Gas and it is coming to NC.
MattA986
    Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:18 am

Just got my Miller DE. Wow what a difference. The clarity is amazing. No more problems when using the gas lens.

If somebody is on the fence about getting an expensive helmet, get it. Like others had said, you won't regret it.

Thanks for all the help guys and gals.
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

MattA986 wrote:Just got my Miller DE. Wow what a difference. The clarity is amazing. No more problems when using the gas lens.
I like it a lot, but I haven't used as many helmets as Richard I don't think. A lot of people use this helmet. I would like the latest clearview, but I bought mine before they came out with it.

I've had mine for about 2-12 years, I just replaced the batteries for the first time about a month ago.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan