Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

Yep that is the one we bought. This is my first experience with Everlast. It made a bad first impression with me. Amazon is replacing it for free and giving us one day shipping. They were so apologetic and are willing to pay us back if we aren't happy. I called customer support and left a message with Everlast and sent them an email to let them know. The plasma torch literally went up in flames in my hand when I tried to use it. Luckily it snowed here in West Virginia cause I threw it down in the snow to cool it off. I just wanted to get it straighten out. If the new welder is better then I would probably recommend the machine but it cost us a whole days pay and until it gets here we are going to be behind. We still have our mig so that is a good thing but we have orders for plasma cut items and our plasma cutter is fried. :lol:
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I hope that works out for you. ;)
Everlast is a mixed bag, hit and miss if you will :|
I've heard stories of guys buying a welder, like you, problem, send it back, 5 welders :shock: until he got one that worked, and he loved it, thats a good customer service.... poor product, but great customer service...
Take it as it comes....
Good Luck,
John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

I am really looking forward to getting some arc time with the thing. I loved the stick weld it does. It has a very smooth arc and easy controls and setup but the plasma was very disappointing. Hope everything works out too. My luck has been down here lately so maybe it will change.
Matt
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

mcoe wrote:The only place I found if was Amazon. The shipped it in 2 days for free and it was a great deal so we thought.
Hey, Matt... Check to see if the first one you got came from "Warehouse Deals". Given the price and the fact that it was clearly used and a dud out of the box, the odds are high. That's Amazon's outfit for selling returns, and the gear doesn't come with warranties.

They claim to test everything before reselling it, but they shipped my wife a dead welder for my Christmas present - wouldn't even power-on. Somehow, she didn't realize she was buying a used / un-warrantied item, since it was on Amazon Prime. I'm actually glad it was DOA, because otherwise I'd never have realized that I didn't get a warranty until it was way too late to fix the transaction. (Mine looked new out of the box, but seemed to have been shipped a couple times before I got it.)

In the end, Amazon backordered me a brand new unit at the price of the DOA used unit. So, aside from not getting my welder until next month, I'll get a new unit at a smoking price. It would be worth griping to Amazon and seeing if they'll adjust the price for you as well.

Cheers,
Richard
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!

Hey Richard,
We checked that out and it came straight from Everlast. We actually have the papers in the box that showed that it went from Everlast to Amazon warehouse and then to us. I don't know what was wrong with it. We should have the replacement tomorrow or the next day and see if it is better. We have another welder but we were hoping to get the plasma cutter and that was the thing that was not working on it. If this one doesn't work I might just have to order a plain plasma cutter and wait on the tig.
Thanks,
Matt
Matt

Matt, I'd really like to know how that turned out for you.
I was looking at buying an Everlast of Amazon....
John :D

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

I will let you know what happens. Everlast tech support called last night and said it is a defective air regulator. I was hoping to get the replacement today but here in West Virginia we got almost a foot of snow today so it got delayed till tomorrow. At least they gave me free one day shipping. For now I am playing with my Hobart Handler 140 that I finally got hooked up to gas for the first time. :D
Matt
Depdog
    Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:08 pm

Yes please do post what happens. I have an Everlast Powertig 185, the 2014 model. It has been nothing but perfect since I got it. I did order directly from Everlast and besides after business house I have never had a problem getting ahold of them. I have even spoke to Oleg on Sunday (he called me after I made an offer via their website on a unit). The forums have a good response and don't hide the issues.

I blame UPS for part of Everlasts bad units. They beat hell out of the boxes that I get from them. I call them Universal Package Smashers.

Anywho, my Powertig 185 has been great, I ordered a CK FlexLoc torch for it and I am very impressed. I still have to run the 220 to use the machines full power.

Glenn in GA

I will let everyone know. Are unit came via FedEx and the guy even carried it inside for me. I will probably order from the company website from now on but I couldn't pass up the deal. I will let every one know what happens when the snow stops and it gets here.
Matt
Matt

We'll folks I got the replacement today. It was packaged a lot better than the first one and the equipment is in better shape. I have ran several beads with the stick on some1/8" plate with 6013 rods and they turned out really good. It has a very smooth arc and easy to operate. I used the plasma quite a bit already and it is doing a good job. I feel stupid now because I couldn't get air pressure with this machine either. I changed the air fitting out with one out of my air nailer and it pressured right up. That may have been the problem with the other machines pressure gauge but that wasn't the only problem the other machine had. I don't have argon yet so I don't know how good the tig is but NOW I will recommend this machine in the future to anyone. Amazon had great customer service,great support and right now they are offering free two day shipping on this machine. All in all the Everlast Super Ultra 205 is a really good machine for a first machine or for a hobbyist or fabricator.
Matt, now a happy customer :D
Matt

good to hear Matt.... :D

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

I feel stupid that the air pressure problem was just the air connector but there were other problems with the first machine besides the air pressure.
Matt
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

The fact they shipped you a used one sux. Even if it did work. Here in Australia, everlast are only a 2 man outfit, but they are good as gold.

Mick

Well when customer support called me back they said that they do testing in the factory before they ship it out, and I said that is understandable but at least you could have changed the consumables out for me instead of sending me a torch with consumables that were burnt pretty bad and scratched up. They must only test the plasma torch because the tig stuff was not even opened unless they change it out, the stick electrode holder didn't have any signs of use but that is hard to find unless you use one a lot. I am pleased with the new machine but I was very disappointed with the first one. Unfortunately we have so much snow here in West Virginia right now that my wife and I are stuck at are apartment at college which is 2 1/2 hours away from our home and shop so we only got to play with the machine 1 day and now we have to wait another week before playing with it again. My wife has been going crazy watching every video online that she can find about plasma cutting trying to get ideas for things that she can cut out.
Matt
Matt

Matt, how is that Everlast holding out for you???
Still going strong???

~John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

It is doing great. I have ran the plasma a lot and the stick a lot. It is a hot burning stick welder and the plasma is working amazing. I was looking forward to trying the tig out and I had tungstens, filler rods, and argon all priced and was going to get it but my truck needed new tires and the price of the two tires is the same exact amount as the supplies I needed to set up the tig so it has to wait for a little bit. All in all the plasma is very good. I have cut everything from 16 gauge sheet to 1/4" strap. It works very well and haven't had any problems. I really like the stick function on it. It has a very smooth arc on it and you don't really have to scratch it to start the arc, it really burns in good. I will try to post some pictures of welds and plasma projects this weekend when I get back to the shop. I hate college cause it is 2 hours from the house and we can't get home till the weekend so I have only got to play with it for about 12 hours. Like I said, haven't tried tig hope to soon but the plasma is sweet on this machine. I have ran a hypertherm here at school and this machine seems to be a smoother machine. I am not saying that this is a better machine than hypertherm because any equipment at this school is not set up correctly. It is the best I have ran though. I'll shut up now I know most of my post are lengthy. I guess I miss my machines so much.
I'll keep ya updated,
Matt
Matt
DSL power
    Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:39 pm

Hope you get the TIG setup running soon! I bought a Everlast PowerTig 255EXT and the arc is smooth as can be. I only have about 12hrs on it so far but its arc is as nice as the Dynasty 200 I've used.
Miller Trailblazer 302 EFI
Suitcase Extreme 8VS
ThermalArc Cutmaster 52
Everlast Power I-TIG 255EXT

I was surprised how smooth the arc was with stick. I scratched it once and it was so smooth. I'm hoping to have the tig set up in the next week or so.
Matt
DSL power
    Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:39 pm

Did you get to try the tig function yet?
Miller Trailblazer 302 EFI
Suitcase Extreme 8VS
ThermalArc Cutmaster 52
Everlast Power I-TIG 255EXT

Not yet, every I save the money back and talk the wife into letting me we have a bill come in for the same amount I need for tungstens, fillers, and gas so I haven't got to yet. I should be able to in the next couple weeks I'll let everyone know. As far as plasma and stick, I did make the discovery that hooked to 120v outlet the plasma will only run 36 amps out of 50 possible, and stick only runs 122 amps out of 150. If it is hooked to 220v it works perfect. Plasma works very smooth still. I have ran it for hours now and it is still performing like a champ. I have been running 1/8" 7018 on DCEP and it has been doing amazing. I have pretty much been maxing out the stick settings running them rods so I'm thinking about dropping down to 3/32 cause I only use it for farm repairs. Like I said give me a couple weeks and hopefully I will have a review on it. It is killing me.
Matt

Well guys I finally talked the wife into letting me get everything I need to finish setting up the tig on my Everlast machine. I just ordered the stuff tonight so hopefully this weekend I will get to run some and give a review on it. I will keep you posted and maybe even get some pictures.
Matt

Great!!! looking forward to the pics.... :D
Also, keep an eye on how hot your torch gets....

~John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

It's a wp 26 torch rated for 200 amps and I won't be running 200 at first so it shouldn't get too bad. I will keep an eye out like I usually do when I run a machine for the first time. I am cautious when running an unfamiliar machine or torch. I have always been that way. I will try to run a stick joint, tig joint, and plasma cut a piece off on the same plate and take a picture of it so you can see how it all does.
Matt

Well fellas I got it set up and running. I absolutely love this machine. I didn't know this when I ordered my supplies but we are on spring break from college this week so I can play with it all week instead of just a weekend. It is very smooth. I only had about 45 minutes of tig experience before getting this machine and most of that time was on aluminum and it has been several months since I have touched a tig torch so I was very rusty. I will share some pictures in a few.

I was upset because I ordered a gas bottle off of USA Weld and it is only a 60 cf bottle and I wanted to upgrade it at my local airgas and they didn't have any larger bottles in stock so in two days of playing I have used almost half of my bottle. Anyways this machine is dual voltage and right now I only have a 120 outlet so my max amps are only 130 amps with foot pedal and 125 with finger switch out of 200 amps when hooked to 230 volt. I figured I would attempt to weld horseshoes together for fun and I had it maxed at 125 and started running on the 1/4" shoe and that sucker welded them shoes pretty dang good. I am impressed.

Again I only had about 45 minutes torch time with tig starting 2 days ago and now I think I'm up to about 4 hours of torch time. I will share pictures and stuff later. And also I had heard reviews that these multi process machines sometimes mess up when switching from tig to plasma in that the plasma won't work, no problem here I have switched from tig to plasma and back a lot in the past two days and had no problem at all.
Matt

Today's projects are truck hitch covers. We used the plasma to cut out a design in sheet metal then welded it to some 1/4" square tubing.
Attachments
1/4" wall square tubing to 16 gauge sheet
1/4" wall square tubing to 16 gauge sheet
image.jpg (33.44 KiB) Viewed 1117 times
Matt