Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

HitMissTom wrote:What I would try (experiment?) is to make some sort of argon dam under the V and apply some purging to it (maybe heavy aluminum foil if the heat can be controlled). Also, the argon cfh should be reduced about 25% on corner and edge welds (probably heard that on a Weldmonger video).
Will do on next one, I do have aluminum foil out in the shop. Hadn't thought of reducing CFH 25%. I don't have a dual regulator unfortunately, so purge is not possible, but daming backside is a good idea.

Another thing I just thought of. I had used red dykem layout dye and was not able to get all of it off the metal. So that is probably contributing to contamination.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

The idea mentioned above is on the money. One must remember that argon gas is very heavy, and flows like water. It will fall away like nobodys business.

Mick
HitMissTom
    Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:18 am

To add to the dam idea; I would make some sort of below dam then put the weld on a slope with the argon entering at the low point and exiting on the high side through a smaller vent hole. Glad you brought out about argon being heavier that air. If it were just level the argon would most likely flow like a river out the far end. Even without argon purge perhaps the dam may help some by capturing some torch argon??