Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

RollOutWelding wrote:Purging some sanitary conduit
wow, thats a lot of stuff in there to keep you busy. 8-)
tweak it until it breaks
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

WOW .... I bet that was one of those "15 minute" jobs. Any idea how many cf of gas you had to use? OR is that system set up with sectional build?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Ran across this the other day!
C5F353AE-7FD0-415F-9A3C-260E631FB7FF.jpeg
C5F353AE-7FD0-415F-9A3C-260E631FB7FF.jpeg (66.44 KiB) Viewed 5656 times
I have more questions than answers

Josh

I find the flush welds very satisfying :lol: :lol:
Richard
Website
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Made a set of railings for my front steps. I like how they turned out but they were a LOT more work than I expected. Learned a bit about blending welds, I havent really had to do that much before. Sending them off to get powder coated today. ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Very nice work Jay, like the design ;)

Do you have a source to buy Walter abrasives in small quantities?
Richard
Website
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

LtBadd wrote:Very nice work Jay, like the design ;)
+1 to that!

Yes my LWS has a good selection, I can get single wheels of whatever they have on the shelf. And they'll order single packs of whatever they dont keep on the shelves. Or they'll even request free demos of some products like a new anti spatter spray for me when they place orders. Walter has been really good in that regard.

Thank you! I do like the design too [emoji4]

BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

Beautiful, but I'm sure you are correct, that looks like a ton of work.

8-)
BillE.Dee

Very nice, Jay. What was the procedure for figuring the angle on the dangle?? I've tried it on a few railings that I did and always have "tune" them a bit.

BillE.Dee wrote:Very nice, Jay. What was the procedure for figuring the angle on the dangle?? I've tried it on a few railings that I did and always have "tune" them a bit.
I just matched the angle of my steps. Laid a straightedge up them and checked the angle off the ground. 33.3⁰ in my case.

Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Nice work. Looks great!
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

a quick and dirty bracket the other day. one of those friday afternoon jobs.
didn't even bother to clean it up. i will probably replace it soon enough.
image019.jpg
image019.jpg (190.81 KiB) Viewed 5207 times
stainless tube bracket.
10mm stainless threaded rods to galv coated sheet. made the mistake of not grinding the galv off the back side. a few big pops and bangs. 309 tig did the old clamp the steel sheet to a chunk of aluminium trick.
tweak it until it breaks
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

JayWal wrote:

Yes my LWS has a good selection, I can get single wheels of whatever they have on the shelf. And they'll order single packs of whatever they dont keep on the shelves.
Pretty sure he meant online sources for the rest of us to buy from. We know you can get them. :lol:
Spartan

Dumpster for a dump trailer. Mostly MIG, but the lifting points were TIG, so that counts. Made me realize my shop is way too small for this size of work (about 16' x 7' x 4'). But got it done!
IMG_3149.jpg
IMG_3149.jpg (56.43 KiB) Viewed 5069 times

Looks good!
Richard
Website
Jakedaawg
    Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 pm

I've never seen a dump trailer with the skin on the outside. What am I missing? Won't the load hang up on the verticals?
Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP, More tools than I have boxes for and a really messy shop.
Spartan

Jakedaawg wrote:I've never seen a dump trailer with the skin on the outside. What am I missing? Won't the load hang up on the verticals?
Yup. Had that conversation with the customer. They placed higher value on branding opportunities by having fully flat exteriors.
Jakedaawg
    Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 pm

Never would have thunk that. Hope they dont regret. Good on you for knowing...looks like quite a pain building that.
Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP, More tools than I have boxes for and a really messy shop.
Spartan

It is/was a pain, especially for a smaller shop like mine. But there's decent money in jobs with that much metal. Three more to do. All of them are different dimensions, though, so that sucks for production purposes. But thankful to have the work, for sure.
BillE.Dee

NICE, Tony. Not only are you going to be building modular dumpsters, but now designing modular jigs. Once someone sees those dump bodies, they are coming looking for YOU to make more.
Spartan

Porsche exhaust retro-fit. Customer supplied material, and fit ups were harsh across the board. Lots of gaps. Did what I could. Turned out just OK. I think there's value in sharing the good stuff in addition to the remarkably average ;)
IMG_3180_crop.jpg
IMG_3180_crop.jpg (57.52 KiB) Viewed 4794 times
IMG_3182.jpg
IMG_3182.jpg (45.97 KiB) Viewed 4794 times
IMG_3183.jpg
IMG_3183.jpg (67.43 KiB) Viewed 4794 times
IMG_3184.JPG
IMG_3184.JPG (66.99 KiB) Viewed 4794 times
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

"new" slimmer steel rack from scrap tubing to save some floor space in the garage

1/8" 6010 on 5Hz Pulse, 50% on-time, 50% background, ~60A on average

3/32" 6010, 5Hz Pulse, 50% on-time, 50% background, ~50A on average, open-root, slight whip-n-pause.

Video to come soon.
Spartan

Looking good, Oscar! Been meaning to build some racks myself. What did you use to cut the copes?
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

Your welds look good to me on that exhaust. Actually, the re-purposed painted tubing welds look good as well.

I agree on the posting up of anything. I think we all get a bit oversensitive about this stuff comparing what we just did to something machine welded with all new parts in a controlled environment. I often make welds that don't look beautiful, it's called the real world. But I don't think one has failed in service in 25 years. My trouble is I just don't take pics of stuff. I had the fan out of my snowblower a week ago and a buddy of mine helped me with reshaping all the blades here one night after work. Then we cleaned it up and I welded it where steel had torn from impacts with rocks and debris. I wasn't so disappointed I didn't take pics of the welds, but once I saw how nice the shaping went on the bent up blades, I said it was sad I didn't have before pics to go with some after pics... I'm usually going at 110% speed trying to get stuff done and not thinking about sharing it. Working on the snowblower at 10 at night was no exception.