Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

prebres wrote:Yesterday I ordered titanium filler wire. Why? hell if I know...

hElP
heh. Same here. In fact I just lit up some puddles on some Ti tubing for the very first time to see how it behaves. Pretty cool stuff. Gotta order more Ti tubing scrap to practice on now. :twisted:
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

:
Otto Nobedder wrote:Jesus Tapdancing Christ! $1200 for a tungsten sharpener?

I think we have our "poster child"!!!

:lol:

Steve S
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Most of the spring filler order is in. Time to fill up the tubes.
0429152253a.jpg
0429152253a.jpg (55.7 KiB) Viewed 1566 times
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

If you don't mind me asking, how much money is in that lot?
dirtmidget33

I don't mind will even give you a list on what's there
$470 total before taxes

Stainless Steel ER308L 10lbs
1/16.
3/32.
Aluminum ER4943 10lbs
1/16
Magnesium ERAZ92A 1lb
3/32
Aluminum Bronze ERCUAL-A2 1lb
1/16
3/32
Silicon Bronze ERCUSI-A 1lb
1/16
3/32

1Lb of magnesium goes a long way. Each individual rod is like holding a feather.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Thanks for that. Serious stocking up there.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

What company did you order the 4943 from?
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
dirtmidget33

MinnesotaDave wrote:What company did you order the 4943 from?
My local welding supply they ordered it. Now I don't know if main branch stocks it or they had to order it from Hobart. My LWS doesn't stock hardly any TIG stuff at all :cry: everything comes from main branch and they ship it out to this location. It didn't take long so I think the main has it. Here is the website doesn't have lot of information on site, so sure you would have to email or call them about shipping products.
http://ceekay.com/

They never heard of it at my local branch :roll: , so when I enquired about it they had to get back with me. When they called back they told me they where a dealer for Hobart maxel and didn't know it. I would think any large LWS company would be a dealer and should be able to get it. A lot of times to comes down to how helpful the LWS is. I had to get some of this threw another LWS because frankly they didn't want to order the 1 lb increments. Which I will remember this on next order and the most helpful company will get the entire order. ;)
dirtmidget33

TIG collecting in action. I was wanting to get this last year but held off. Even had a post looking for input others had on dual regulators, didn't want junk.
0430151233a.jpg
0430151233a.jpg (92.89 KiB) Viewed 1438 times
Yes I could have bought a cheaper one, heard HTP sells a good one at low cost. I could have made one. However I liked the look and feel of the Victor one. 8-) Plus the Victor one has little RED balls :shock: :lol: I can see them better than the silver balls. So Victor was the one to come and stay here :lol: Besides my TIG welder and regulator are owned by same corporation so got a company set thing going on
Last edited by dirtmidget33 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

dirtmidget33 wrote:
MinnesotaDave wrote:What company did you order the 4943 from?
My local welding supply they ordered it. Now I don't know if main branch stocks it or they had to order it from Hobart. My LWS doesn't stock hardly any TIG stuff at all :cry: everything comes from main branch and they ship it out to this location. It didn't take long so I think the main has it. Here is the website doesn't have lot of information on site, so sure you would have to email or call them about shipping products.
http://ceekay.com/

They never heard of it at my local branch :roll: , so when I enquired about it they had to get back with me. When they called back they told me they where a dealer for Hobart maxel and didn't know it. I would think any large LWS company would be a dealer and should be able to get it. A lot of times to comes down to how helpful the LWS is. I had to get some of this threw another LWS because frankly they didn't want to order the 1 lb increments. Which I will remember this on next order and the most helpful company will get the entire order. ;)
Thanks for the response - when I run out of 4043 I'm going to replace it with 4943.
My lWS had not heard of it either, but are a distributor for Hobart maxel as well.

I hear you about the "most helpful company" getting the entire next order - I'd do the same thing.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Bought a footpedal and got it working on my Oerlikon Citig 1500AC/DC (needed a little wiring internally but all logic was present for a pedal on the circuit boards, hope to do a small writeup on how to do this..) and just succumbed to the lure of the CK Flex-Loc Superflex torch and gubbins for doing some new exhaust work for my car.

Yeah.. I *really* needed that! Really.. :roll: Still nice though! :mrgreen:

Already up to my ears in various tungsten types/sizes and gas lenses ans cups :lol:

Bye, Arno.

Nice. I'm thinking about picking up some Dogfab/furrick Pyrex cups.

So who's gonna be the first to get this:

http://versa-tig.com/
    Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:13 am

Oscar wrote:So who's gonna be the first to get this:

http://versa-tig.com/
DROOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Chris
NASA is not the enemy of the American taxpayer.
AWS D1.1, D17.1
NYWELDERJim
    Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:09 am

Very very nice. I am trying to convince the wife to let me convert our rarely used living room into a new welding and fabricating shop. i am running out of room to setup and store all my goodies.
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

Ok, this is getting silly...

I spotted a piece of equipment sitting outside my work location, just laying on a pallet back in a corner out in the weather. At first glance, it looked like a fan motor in a box, with a couple of 3-4" hose fittings on it.
I asked the owner what it was doing out there, and he said it was just some junk equipment left from a new property that he'd bought, and asked about why I was interested.
After explaining that I was setting up a welding area in my garage and thought that I could use a fan in a box to rig a exhaust fan, he offered to trade it for some welding work to repair a couple of cheap steel tube frame chairs from the break room.

Breaking out the O/A torch, I repaired the chairs, one brazed, the other welded so that I can see which survives better.

After all was done and told, and I was about to load it into my car, I found out that it's an Airflow Systems Mini-Vac 66-0 particle/fume extractor, with filters and options for HEPA filtration...

All this, and I STILL haven't struck an arc with my TIG setup that prompted the accumulation of parts to start!

PS, you all are a bad influence! The same day as I was headed home I somehow ended up with a Harbor Freight folding welding table in my back seat, after a few have mentioned that they are not as bad as HF's reputation would imply. On sale for $70, minus another 20% coupon...
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.

hey_allen wrote: PS, you all are a bad influence! The same day as I was headed home I somehow ended up with a Harbor Freight folding welding table in my back seat, after a few have mentioned that they are not as bad as HF's reputation would imply. On sale for $70, minus another 20% coupon...

I don't know what you are talking about. :lol:
Chris
AWS D1.1, D17.1
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

I agree with Chris...I'm taking the 5th on that accusation :D
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

hey_allen,

You have it all wrong. We're not a bad influence on you. You, sir, are an inspiration for us. You've motivated me to stop by the LWS on the way home today. Thank you.

LDB
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I'd like to thank Oscar for rekindling my quest for collecting the parts to finish my homemade version of that Versa-Tig contraption that I started to make 20 years ago. Probably be cheaper to buy it when you figure how much time I'll have in it when I'm done. Actually about a hundred in valves and fittings (actually had most of them on hand, wonder why?) and some hose, with the biggest investment being time.

Oh well, time to get ready for my support group meeting.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
nathan
    Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

I don't have a problem. I think of other things besides TIG parts. Like setting up a 220v circuit so I can USE my TIG parts. And making sure my machine is re-wired right so I can USE my TIG parts. And working overtime so I can pay for all my 220v circuit parts and welder projects and pipe coupons and stainless (ohhhhhh, stainless!) bits to get better at using my TIG parts. And I think about all those pretty weave beads on Instagram that I could be practicing for with my TIG parts.

This conversation is the exact reason why I got the eBay app.

RocketSurgeon, thanks for the review of the Chinese parts, there goes my next overtime check lol

Any advice on how to sneak the money away from the my Secretary of War?
Instagram: @nathanppiatt

Owner/welder at Homegrown Metal Fab

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
30" 40 ton homegrown press brake
Northern Industrial1HP 3/4" chuck, 16 speed drill press

nathan wrote:This conversation is the exact reason why I got the eBay app.

RocketSurgeon, thanks for the review of the Chinese parts, there goes my next overtime check lol

You can call me "Pusher". :lol:

Yeah, don't tell her. :lol:
Chris
AWS D1.1, D17.1
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

RocketSurgeon wrote:
nathan wrote:This conversation is the exact reason why I got the eBay app.

You can call me "Pusher". :lol:

Yeah, don't tell her. :lol:
Enabler. Plain and simple.

All this talk about keeping the War Department in the dark reminds me of the guy who said, "When I die, I just hope my wife doesn't sell my gun collection for what I told her I paid for them".

LDB
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

nathan wrote:
Just a word of warning on the Chinese parts, make sure that you look for unfinished rough edges in the manufacturing.

The parts that I got from the friend that traded me the TIG welder were all of Chinese manufacture,(I have NO idea which vendor) and I noticed that about half of the collet body gas holes were blocked by metal that hadn't ben cleared from the casting or machining operations.

It only took poking a tungsten through the holes on the side of the collets to clear them, but it would have been interesting to diagnose if it was blocking when trying to weld, or blew out in to the puddle!
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.